Custom barrel on factory action

I wouldn't personally put a nice new expensive aftermarket barrel on a non-blueprinted action...But that's just me. My smith charges me very low fees and does exceptional work, with a super fast turn-around time. So, for me, I don't see it being worth NOT having your action blueprinted. Blueprinting helps ensure everything is properly aligned that wasn't from the factory.

So money is tight as I have another rifle being built but once again getting the itch to get a 300. Win mag back, especially with my moose hunt coming up again. I came across a factory remington 700 xcr II bedded into a McMillan HTG stock, ptg bottom metal and accurate mag, vias muzzle brake and badger bolt knob for a good price. But current owner isn't the original owner and doesn't know round count. If barrel is shot, would it be worth it to throw an aftermarket barrel on it without blueprinting the action

Are you willing to take that risk? If so, go for it. I personally will have it blueprinted (~$250+/-), but that's just me. Good luck!

Last edited:
IMO not much of a risk putting a barrel on a non blueprinted action. I do it all the time. Personally I have just begun doing my own barreling and it is lots of fun and saves a bundle. I have done 18.

I have had gunsmiths place factory and custom barrels on non blueprinted actions for over 35 yrs. Rem, Lilja, Bartlein and Douglas barrels with Rem 700, Win post 64 model 70, Mauser, Mark X, and Ruger actions. All shot quite well. And some shot bugholes. I have a few that I use the first hole as an aiming point for the next 4 shots which make one ragged hole at 100 yds.

I tried to remember all the rifles I had put together or the ones I did. Here is the best I can remember at this moment:

22-250 -2

6 BR -2

6mm Rem

6mm-284 -4

6mm-264

6.5-284 -2

264 win mag -2

257 weatherby -6

270 weatherby

7-08

284 -6

280 Rem

7 Rem mag -5

30 BR

308 -2

30-06 -3

300 RUM -2

338 RCM -2

338 win mag

375 Taylor

I say stick the barrel on and make ammo with little runout, you'll do fine.

A good smith will not just screw the barrel on, they will make sure the barrel and action are square. Blue printing the action just takes the action to a higher level. Spending money to blue print a factory action gets the cost up close to full custom actions that don't need the extra attention and the customs tend to be stronger than the factory action. I would say this is the argument not to spend the extra money on the factory action.

Given your budget I would say that just a rebarrel with a good smith and you will have a rifle that is better than typical factory.

Steve

Odds are, the threads are not concentric to the bolt axis at a minimum. The face of the receiver may be concentric to the threads so you can get a squared up fit at that interface. You could order a barrel that has an extra inch at the breech to allow you to set the barrel back and blueprint at a later date. If you can't afford to blueprint now, and want a gun to shoot now, I wouldn't modify the action.

3 ways this could play out if you Buy it.

1) it shoots awesome for an unknown number of seasons/round-count - investment of $1,500

2) it shoots horribly, since funds are limited this year (and time is short) you spend $350 on a new barrel that you screw on yourself and it shoots awesome. Total investment $1,850

3) your new diy barrel and action job didn't hit the mark and it doesn't shoot very well. You don't have funds for blueprinting, so you limit your moose shots to 200-300 yards. This winter after season is over, you pay a smith to true everything up and you are shooting bugholes for next season. Total investment (assuming $350 for Smith) $2200.

A good smith will not just screw the barrel on, they will make sure the barrel and action are square. Blue printing the action just takes the action to a higher level. Spending money to blue print a factory action gets the cost up close to full custom actions that don't need the extra attention and the customs tend to be stronger than the factory action. I would say this is the argument not to spend the extra money on the factory action.

Given your budget I would say that just a rebarrel with a good smith and you will have a rifle that is better than typical factory.

Steve
Actually, I've seen many aftermarket actions that have needed some squaring up. My smith says he has to do it with nearly every custom action he's had in his shop. Also, $300 for a donor rifle and $250 to have it blueprinted is nowhere near $1,300 for a custom action, that will still need to be mic'd on a lathe to check for a square receiver face.

I guess not all actions are equal. We use Defiance.

$250 for blueprint sounds very good.

Steve
I've heard good things about Defiance and the Curtis actions being about as true and square as they possibly can be. One day I would like to build off of both.

Yeah, my smith gives me great prices, and typically a week or 2 turn-around time. Even though I typically tell him "no rush", I still end up getting a phone call in a week or two to pick up my assembled box of parts. Guess he likes that cash. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.