Best Factory Action

Exactly and why I'm rebarreling my 11 lightweight hunter with a Bartlien and Manners stock (I can't bring myself to use a walnut furnitured rifle as a walking stick). Mr. Pierce flat told me he can't improve on the action or bolt alignment and he outta know.

I can always open up the magazine well if I need to (for bullet jump if necessary) but I don't see that happening at this juncture.

Maybe my trigger finger is as numb as my mind (at my advanced age) but the Accutrigger (while not a Jewel) feels just fine to me.... but what do I know. I'm just a consumer after all.

somebody sells a synthetic stock that looks just like a walnut stock. I don't remember who it is, but it's a quality piece.
gary

Interesting that you ask. I am building a custom (260 Nosler) and I decided to use the action I've always wanted. I bought a Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem Mag (L61R action) to use as a donor. This is the smoothest action I've ever cycled. It has a nice trigger which is adjustable into the 2 lb range. There is no separate recoil lug as it is all one big machined piece. The finish is flawless. Perfectly true scope dovetails are machined into the action. Of course it has the Sako style extractor that often gets copied into Rem 700s. This is a 1970s vintage rifle. New Sakos actions are cast so I wouldn't go there.

somebody sells a synthetic stock that looks just like a walnut stock. I don't remember who it is, but it's a quality piece.
gary

You're probably thinking of the new Remington WoodTech stocks. They look like veneer wood flooring (matte satin finish) compared to real 3/4 tongue & groove mahogany (deep and glossy finish).

You're probably thinking of the new Remington WoodTech stocks. They look like veneer wood flooring (matte satin finish) compared to real 3/4 tongue & groove mahogany (deep and glossy finish).

they were an aftermarket stock, and the material was synthetic. Looked and felt slightly heavy, but the finish on the one I looked at, looked identical to French Walnut used on Browning shotguns.
gary

To me this boils down into three parameters:

1) How much does the original action cost?

2) How much machine work is needed to bring that action up to expectations and what is that cost?

3) Action/magazine length and bolt face of sufficient diameter.

The Savage is pretty true out of the box but has a limited magazine length. Savage uses a floating bolt head so trueing is not generally needed. Savage does not have a wide selection of triggers but I personally find the Accutrigger acceptable having put up with DCM AR-15 triggers for so many years. Since I've switched to Talley one-piece lightweight rings that are lapped strait after install the top of any action is a mute point. The lock time of the Savage is super fast and that is very important. Most other actions cannot be made that fast.

The Remington is the Small Block Chevy of rifle actions. The SB Chevy is short for it's stroke and has cooling issues with Siamesed bores and large over - bores. But somehow the Hotrodders get 700 - 800 horsepower out of it. Aftermarket parts, newly engineered, are still being made 20 years after they quit making the motor! The Remington has the aftermarket depth no other action has. Most gunsmiths know what to do to make it shoot. This counts.

All the above being said, reworking a factory action and the cost thereof makes the Stiller and others VERY attractive!

My first choice is the Savage if the magazine length is acceptable for the intended use.

KB

Last edited:
Sidecarflip

Graphite/carbonfiber + steel + water = battery.

In the boating industry they design carbon fiber structures with kevlar/fiberglass inserts where fasteners go to keep the bolts from disappearing. If you buy a graphite stock make sure there is isolation laid into all the areas that the action and screws touch. Even stainless is attacked because of how electrolytic the graphite/carbon fiber is.

FYI

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.