Custom 300win Accuracy vs Velocity?

SLIVER

Hey guys. I am wondering if you can give some advise.
I Recently finished a 300win build and have been testing some loads using H-1000, 215 hybrid target bullet, GM-215 primer and new Norma brass. I have tested the powder from 72-77gr, with the bullet seated 0.020 off the lands. 74.0 grains was my most accurate load producing a 3 shot group of 0.2850" center to center (see pic). The other loads weren't bad (0.5"-0.75"), just not this good. When chronographing I got a mean velocity of 2747 fps. I was really thinking that with this long of a barrel I would be >2900fps. I have heard of shooters (BROZ) on here getting over 3000 fps with the same combo, just an increased charge of powder. So my question is this..... Would you stick with the slower load and call it good, or try to jump up in powder getting more fps, but sacrificing such great accuracy? This is a hunting gun and will be used to take game from 1000 yds and in.
Thank you for your advise and knowledge.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• IMG_4901.jpg
    IMG_4901.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 100
Is that your best seating depth? I generally run in the 76-77gr range with the same combo but I find the best seating first then tune the powder charge.

I haven't played around with the seating depth yet. I am leaving on Sunday for a mule deer hunt, so I have been pressed for time to get the loads worked up. I will definitely play with seating depth more. What FPS are you seeing with your 76-77gr bigngreen? Where was your seating sweet spot?

))--SLIVER-->

FWIW, a 210 gr. Berger in a 26" barrel shows a max velocity of 2804 fps w/ 75.5 H1000 in their own book. If it were me, I always go with the lowest ED, SD and the better group simply based on the fact most guys are using apps these days and bullet drop is a given (predicable).

You're using a 5 gr. heavier bullet, a 215 vs. 210 from the book, which to me you're close enough depending on the added gain or loss from barrel length. You could also just have a slow barrel? Either way your brass will last longer, and 1/4" groups..... I'd take that over velocity anyday of the week!

I haven't played around with the seating depth yet. I am leaving on Sunday for a mule deer hunt, so I have been pressed for time to get the loads worked up. I will definitely play with seating depth more. What FPS are you seeing with your 76-77gr bigngreen? Where was your seating sweet spot?

))--SLIVER-->

Depending on barrel 2950-3000 fps usually. Each barrel as a sweet spot for seating but I go from .005-.040 of the lands usually, find your seating tune then the powder tunes in easier and usually will be good ES.

Just worked on a load with a friend for a sendero using 215's and h-1000. Accuracy load in the factory barrel is at 2740fps. Kinda slow but he is going to run with till hunting season is done and it gets a new benchmark barrel. I think we got about 700 yards for the bullet to drop down to 1800 fps which the very minimum I use to find my max hunting distance. Something you may want to consider.

I run just under 78 grains Retumbo in mine get 2930 muzzle velocity. It's not a factory freebore chamber though

Thanks a bunch for the info thus far. Slow or not I am very pleased with the accuracy of this load. I'll play around with it some more after the hunts are over and see if I can improve in any way. .284, my charts are showing me that at 1000 yds with this combo I should be at 1861fps.
Hoping some others will chime in and give me their opinions. I really like hearing how your experiences compare to mine.

))--SLIVER-->

How is it throated, I run a .187 throat on my Win reamer for 215's and at 28 inches they have all ran 3000 fps give or take about 30 fps, that's probably pushing 20 of them I've built.

I had a similar experience of low velocity with my 300WM using 75gr of H1000, Norma brass, Fed215M, 210 VLD's. Switched to 79 gr of Retumbo and got 2900FPS out of my 24" barrel, same .25-.5MOA accuracy, and ES under 10FPS.

My 300 WM shoots the 215's right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux. Worked up to 79 gr of H1000 and stopped there. No signs of pressure and is VERY accurate. I sent BROZ a PM before ordering a reamer and ended up using what he recommended. Used a PTG TAC MATCH FINISHER .3407 NK .210 FB. My self and a friend both used this reamer and both rifles are basically identical. Muzzle velocity is the same, Powder charge is less in his (different brass), seating depth is identical at 30 thou off, and both are equally accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.