Velocity Versus Accuracy

gunner1stclass

OK I'm the newbie here but I've been shooting competition since 1978, and been building guns since the 80s So I have a little bit of experience😊 My question is this, I understand the benefits of increased velocity but with today's ballistic calculators range finders all the other tools available to us how important is velocity really? I understand you need velocity to open your bullets up yeah but at the end of the day accuracy is more important I'd much rather have my 308 shooting at 2550 with 1/2 inch group that pushing 3400 or 3500 hundred fps and getting a 2 inch group. I realize this 2 inch group is probably OK if you're hunting in the woods or in the swamps where your longest shot a couple 100 yards. I'm asking this because a lot of the posts that I see are really pushing top velocity and I think accuracy is more important am I wrong or am I just reading the posts wrong?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

I believe the velocity craze is people asking smaller cartridges to be what they are not.

I believe accuracy is the most important thing. Who doesn't like an accurate rifle. Velocity should be chosen by how far you want the rifle to perform and choosing a cartridge capable of that velocity in an accuracy node.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

I believe the velocity craze is people asking smaller cartridges to be what they are not.

I believe accuracy is the most important thing. Who doesn't like an accurate rifle. Velocity should be chosen by how far you want the rifle to perform and choosing a cartridge capable of that velocity in an accuracy node.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Wow Steve……somebody finally said it, very accurately I might add!

For various reasons…. cost of components and the desire to shot a lot, the desire to show that they can with a lesser cartridge/bullet diameter make kills at long ranges respect for the animal be d….d!

I have absolutely zero issues with people shooting paper/steel/ varmints, ect. at whatever ranges "blows their skirt's up" with the tiniest of cartridges….. with targets, it simply doesn't matter! Big game animals, a different scenario! memtb

Consistent accuracy is the most critical attribute of a rifle. Velocity matters specifically when stretching out target ranges and determining the effective range of a particular bullet. At short range 100-200 yards velocity variations mean very little. ES of 20+fps can still pretty much go in the same hole. That same ES of 20 fps can be dramatically different when stretching out your target range. I don't fret over achieving maximum velocity, but do carefully watch velocity spreads when developing a load.

It seems like something is missing here. I start by looking for maximum velocity and then adjust to get acceptable accuracy. Five shot groups of 3/4" at 100yds and I'm good to go.

At two and a half bucks a shot I can't afford to play much trying to get smaller groups.

I guess I am a speed freak.