Convince me: 300Win vs 300RUM

coues7

Well, I'm 99% sure I'm going to get a Sendero SFII.....I just need help deciding on what caliber. I fairly new to LRH.....but not to long ranges....I live in AZ and hunt coues deer. I'm torn between these 2 calibers....I hunt bear, elk and deer. Regardless I'm putting a DE brake on it and I'd like to be able to shoot it as much as possible without shooting out the barrel to quickly....which steers me away from the 300RUM.....although when I do shoot out the barrel that round allows me to upgrade to the 338 Edge!

Please give your opinions....thanks

Having used both in Sendero's from 1000yds, I found the 300rum was more accurate. The accuracy of the 300rum was actually Amazing! … a real reach out and touch anything first-shot sort of rifle. The additional 250 to 300fps certainly would have been a contributor, but so would have been the amount of after-market work that had been done (rebedding, trued-action, nightforce scope).

I view the usable life of a rifle barrel like the tires on my truck, they will last just so long. With that said if you are very concerned with the round count on your rifle barrel I'm guessing 2000 to 2500 rounds down a .300 Winnie pipe versus a 1000 to 1500 rounds for a 300 RUM as long as you follow good cleaning practices, don't overheat the barrel, and stay away from the lighter bullets.

If your shots are limited to 500 yards the Winnie may serve you best, beyond this mark the Ultra really starts to shine with the 200 NAB.

Of course I like several of the big .300's and the Ultra is one of them! I have been very impressed with the inherent accuracy of this big 30! Of course I have had great accuracy results from the 300 Winnie and the 300 Roy. A moot point maybe that you can find .300 Winchester Ammo or components almost anywhere.

Sendero SF II Info

You guys already have me leaning towards a 300 RUM. I do already reload so the availability of ammo is no problem. I would of course be shooting no more than a 180gr bullet for coues deer. I shot my buck this year with my 300 win SPS using nosler ballistic tips and the damage was absolutely devasting.
This was a spine shot!!!!
DSC00115.jpg

This is the .300 win mags 43rd birthyear! More stuff for it than one person needs and load data everywhere.....Is the 300Rum a teenager yet? No camparison if you look at whos been there and done that! Nothing against the RUM but Ive seen something else coming and will be saving up for it!

I have both in custom format from same builder with similar components. Both are tak drivers. With 26" barrels on both using 180 BT I get 3170 fps using 73 grs. of IMR 4350 on the WM and 3350fps using 99 grs. of Retumbo out of the RUM. These are my sweet spot loads(top accuracy/speed combo). Out to a 1000 yds the clicks are not that far apart. I am in process of building another 300 WM with longer barrrel(28"). I like both alot but gave the 300 WM the nod because it burns alot less powder and my next reach out and touch 'em build will be 338 Edge. If I were to do it over I would start the way I did 300 WM, and second build would have been the 338 Edge or RUM. Food for thought.

Just got done at the range today, temp was mid. 20's no wind and 7000 feet elev. 100 yard range and grouped 3 shots twice in less than 1/2". Shooting a rem 300 rum sendero. Only work that has been done to it is a Vias brake and trigger adjustment. I really like this round compared to my 300 wm which just sets in the cabinet now. Oh by the way only shot 6 times cause other people were wanting to shoot, and it is only a one gun range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i have a savage model 110 in 300 win mag.love it!!i will stick with the "old man" myself.my brother had a 300 rum in a savage.could only get it to shoot accuratley at 300 win velocities at long range,even though it would shoot much faster.i personally know a fellow that could only get 3150 fps out of his 300 rum with 180 nosler bt.a lot of guys like this round,thats ok.different strokes for different folks.look at it this way.the US military uses 300 win mag for some sniping,many 1000 yard benchrest shooters still shoot 300 win/weatherby chambered guns.if the 300 rum were that much better wouldnt the military and competitive shooters use it exclusively?its a matter of opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and stay away from the lighter bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighter bullets burning a barrel out faster than heavy one is a common misconception.

Lighter bullets, provided they are fired at the higher velocities they can be, can actually improve barrel life. This is due to the hot powder escaping from the barrel faster and having less time to cause the wear and tear.

As far as which caliber, I too am a fellow coues hunter, rifle and archery (I am in Az right now bowhunting them). With the extreemly unpredictable wind found in typical coues country, and the VERY small target presented, you need as little wind drift as possible. This is where the 300 RUM shines. The 300 WM isnt bad either. Just ask yourself which is more important. Some barrel life or less drift. All things concidered, the RUM vs winnie barrel life isnt that much differant, although the WM will last a bit longer. Obviously, I favor the 300 RUM for its awesome performance.

just get the 338RUM and be done with it.put 225 accubonds in it and shoot elk or anything else out to 1k.won't ruin as much meat as a 180BT from a 300,much longer barrel life,easy to load for and get to shoot.a 26" barrel is plenty.

Dave, the closest thing to custom that I can afford right now is the Sendero.....the largest caliber it comes in is 300 RUM. Really the only thing the 300 RUM gets me is the ability to go to the 338 Edge later (already have the base casings to neck up) and speed right?

300AX.......I gotta start selling stuff.....Allen is soon to rebarrel my Lil girls ruger 243.....He gave me some options with a 7 rem mag I have but I may just sell a couple other guns and wait for his 300AX to come out! Dont tell my wife! Ive never owned a complete custom gun but When I get one I want something nobody around here has I WANNA HEAR OOOHH AAAAH WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!...closest thing to is a 30-378 across the road.

fiftydriver I got your email Ill answer it later tonight Katies is alomost a done deal! 1 MINOR DETAIL

BUDDY SAW THE EMAIL I RECIEVED AND HES SOON TO HAVE A CUSTOM 7rum UP FOR SALE! AS BAD AS WE REALLY DONT NEED EM WONT BE LONG WE ARE ON THE WAITING LIST......AND NO IM NOT ADVERTSING FOR FIFTY DRIVER HES STUFF IS ON THE WILD SIDE AND THE MORE I LOOK AT IT THE MORE I LIKE IT! WISH IT WAS DONE.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.