Convince me: 300Win vs 300RUM

i thought you could get a 338 in the sendero?

OK, in that case i vote for the RUM. i'm not a big fan of the belts and like you said, an easier upgrade to the edge. i love my 338/300 by the way!

get the ultra mag if you want it to streach out the distances then the ultra will do it better than the 300 Win MAg and no belt to wory about. the accuracy should be similar as the rifles are the same with just the chamber different but the 300 ultra can be loaded down to 300 win mag velocity but the 300 win mag can not be loaded to 300 ultra velocity. as you have said you will likely get an edge down the \track when the barrel is dead how long will it take you to shoot 1000 rounds a few years at least you will likely rebarrel before either is shot out and the 300 ultra gives you a sizing die that can be modified and you can also just neck up your left over brass to 338 and keep using it when you rebarrel with a match barrel you can also use the muzzle break on the 338 by having it opened up a little when it is fitted to the barrel. Just make sure you also bed the action with good bedding compound like Devcon or similar and i would have an oversize recoil lug fitted when the muzzle break is fitted and square the front of the action. A full true up is not totaly required but just squaring the face of the action fitting the larger recoil lug and lapping the lugs will improve the rifle no end.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and stay away from the lighter bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighter bullets burning a barrel out faster than heavy one is a common misconception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Specifically I thought it was the higher powder charges used with the lighter bullets that would erode the throat at a faster pace???

1st thing is to throw out your ballitic tips and go with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds, they have a better carry in the wind and better on-game performance. I get a fraction of that meat damage when I use them in my 300WM Browning A-bolt and the deer mostly drop dead when they're hit. I've only had one that moved about 30 feet before he fell over dead.

Jay

Yea, I agree with jay on that! I dont like BT's either they aint far from a varmit load for deer! Sorry if that ofends but thats how I feel!

Accubond
Sirroco
Barnes

Those the stuff I like!

Im gonna keep my 300win and build something from my 7 mag possibably a 300 ultra so go figure........Nosler is making brass for the ultra.....thats a plus! This is almost as good as choose an apple red or green!

No offense taken guys....this is just what I shot this year (the 180g BT).....of course for long range shooting I'm going to use the 200-240g NAB. I have to say although for coues deer the 300RUM is way over kill I think in general for long range shooting this may be my gun.

What is the average life out of a 300Win barrel?

my thoughts....
I currently own the 300 RUM Sendero. love it. I had really considered the 338 RUM version but finding one is nearly impossible and as far as I know it is no longer made. I had also considered the 300 win but, knowing me, I will want something different in a few years. once I burn out the barrel, I may just convert it to the 338. I really like the 300 RUM. cartridge looks great, performs great, fun to load.

I live in az and hunt coues alot Ive got the 300 win mag sendero it works just fine. I shot mine deer last year at 746 yards. I don't think the ultra mag will gain you much. I would stick to the bt over the nab. I've shot deer with both. The nab's just don't have time to expand and just pencil hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.