Crazy Idea

Clay Target Guy

Did not know if this should be posted here or in the gunsmiths section, but I am wondering if it would be crazy to build a 6.5 4S on a long action?
I have a long action laying around, as well as a stock or two.
Would it feed out of a long action mag, I guess I could add a block to it like people do when feeding a 6mmBr.

I have a local smith that is good and I trust to do the work, and he owes me so cost should not be too bad.

Is this a crazy idea?

I don't think it is crazy, as I just built one on a Savage 110 action. I am very happy with it so far. Using the long action, you can use the longer VLD type bullets and not have to be concerned with OAL at all.

I don't think it is crazy, as I just built one on a Savage 110 action. I am very happy with it so far. Using the long action, you can use the longer VLD type bullets and not have to be concerned with OAL at all.

Hey there,

I also built one on a savage 110 action, works great!
Mine is in an MDT chassis and I use 338 lapua accuracy international mags, I have about 500 rounds through it and haven't had any major failure to feed issues...

Build away and don't look back!

Orch

On a Remington or clone you'd probably have to use a AI/CIP mag or a center feed Wyatt mag box. I used the Wyatt mag box on my 300wsm which is on a long action.

I had never heard of this cartridge so I put it in the search engine. Oh, it is a 6.5-300 SAUM!

I began reading about it and bumped into this lengthy thread offered by the originator,
G.A. Precision, George Gardner.
This is an excellent thread on this cartridge. If you have read it perhaps others have not. It is worth sharing.

Extreme Hunter , 6.5 GAP SAUM 4S, BRASS IN STOCK! - 1 - SnipersHide.com Forums - Scout

I made a LA with a long throated 338 RCM that shoots the 300 gr Berger. I have found that this package feeds just fine without any modifications to the rifle. Your 6.5 4s OAL is shorter and may need some alterations, you won't know till you try it.

The Tikka action would work GREAT! It is longer than a short action but shorter than most long actions. It is a very good action, I am told, and you could really pick up the performance by utilizing a longer throat....Rich

The Tikka action would work GREAT! It is longer than a short action but shorter than most long actions. It is a very good action, I am told, and you could really pick up the performance by utilizing a longer throat....Rich

I have been playing around with my cousin's new T3 7mm rem and am thinking the same thing.... This thing has one of the slickest actions I've run! Thinking I should just tell him that the 7mm rem is a crap cartridge and I can't get a load to shoot in it... Then get a 6.5, 1 in 8", 24" medium contour barrel spun up for it and he'll have one heck of a nice laser shooter.

Hey Rich, what do you figure is the ideal barrel length for the 6.5 Sherman short mag? (Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....)

Orch

I'd just buy a 6.5 SS. Much better designed wildcat.

Also, with that 6.5 4s your just wasting money buying proprietary brass when it's nothing more than a rebranded 6.5 SAUM with very slight neck modifications. They make you think it's some special proprietary custom cartridge, when it's really not. JMHO

Did not know if this should be posted here or in the gunsmiths section, but I am wondering if it would be crazy to build a 6.5 4S on a long action?
I have a long action laying around, as well as a stock or two.
Would it feed out of a long action mag, I guess I could add a block to it like people do when feeding a 6mmBr.

I have a local smith that is good and I trust to do the work, and he owes me so cost should not be too bad.

Is this a crazy idea?

No, it is NOT, esp. if this is what you "truly" want.

Good luck!

Ed

I have been playing around with my cousin's new T3 7mm rem and am thinking the same thing.... This thing has one of the slickest actions I've run! Thinking I should just tell him that the 7mm rem is a crap cartridge and I can't get a load to shoot in it... Then get a 6.5, 1 in 8", 24" medium contour barrel spun up for it and he'll have one heck of a nice laser shooter.

Hey Rich, what do you figure is the ideal barrel length for the 6.5 Sherman short mag? (Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....)

Orch

Barrel length is basically preference as far as priority for whether your goal is length, weight, max velocity, etc. My barrel is 26" and it will reach 3300' with 143's. I don't think you lose more than 20'/inch........Rich

I'd just buy a 6.5 SS. Much better designed wildcat.

Also, with that 6.5 4s your just wasting money buying proprietary brass when it's nothing more than a rebranded 6.5 SAUM with very slight neck modifications. They make you think it's some special proprietary custom cartridge, when it's really not. JMHO

So what is the difference between the 6.5 4s and the 6.5 SS?

So what is the difference between the 6.5 4s and the 6.5 SS?

The SS is a shortened saum that has the taper blown out, the shoulder sharpened to 40, and has a longer neck. All good things! It has the same capacity and is more efficient, thus higher velocity. One of the best things is it will cycle in a short action with the long bullets. It has a much longer throat so you are nor using case capacity up with the long bullets. Because of the design, case stretching is reduced to a minimum as well.....Rich

p.s. Just so you know, I have heard that the Hornady 4s brass stinks! I am hearing about 3 loadings and it will not take much pressure.

The SS is a shortened saum that has the taper blown out, the shoulder sharpened to 40, and has a longer neck. All good things! It has the same capacity and is more efficient, thus higher velocity. One of the best things is it will cycle in a short action with the long bullets. It has a much longer throat so you are nor using case capacity up with the long bullets. Because of the design, case stretching is reduced to a minimum as well.....Rich

p.s. Just so you know, I have heard that the Hornady 4s brass stinks! I am hearing about 3 loadings and it will not take much pressure.

Thanks, Ok then, is it a Crazy idea to build a 6.5 SS on a long action.....:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.