Crazy 7mm build

Nope, that's not accurate; Chase723 got it right. The fastest powder in a long barrel will still be the fastest powder in a shorter barrel until you get into barrels under 10". Even then the difference is minimal. If you're interested in real world performance numbers from short barrels you need to spend a little time talking to the Specialty Pistol crowd.

For the OP, the 28 Nosler will easily hit the numbers you're looking for in a 22" barrel and would probably be the easiest way to get it done. If you wanted something a little different you could go with one of the Sherman rounds and probably hit your numbers too without much trouble.
Thats correct! Powders that give the fastest velocity normally do it over a range of barrel lengths!
now case design, definitely can change which powder is best compared to other cases with the same capacity, but the fastest powder is still the fastest powder in a given design.

Last edited:
I had GW build me a rifle similar to what you are wanting. 22" 7RSAUM. I love it. I shoot the 180 ELDm. It performed wonderfully on a few deer this year and one bull elk.

Attachments

• A3086AC2-67FB-4911-87B1-02FF6433B074.jpeg
    A3086AC2-67FB-4911-87B1-02FF6433B074.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 106
Biggest reason I think is what we are conditioned to be what we thought we were suppose to use.
I agree, I think heavies gives us an edge at distance but @David Emerson was specifically referring to mono's not needing to be as heavy as lead. I'm guessing because they're longer so they'll have a higher BC than a lead bullet of the same weight, but I'm not sure.

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.
Just ordered the barrel for my daughters 22" 7SS built

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.
This is a pretty good discussion of barrel length from a hunters perspective.

Thanks for the insight on barrel lengths and velocity changes. Interesting in the difference between the 308 and 300WM velocity. I will stay with my 26" or longer barrels. I use slower powders, and lighter primers in my reloads. I am only burning between 60 and 75 grains of powder per cartridge, depending what case I am using.