Crazy 7mm build

I'm building a 28 Nosler with a 22" barrel right now and I'm having it throated to shoot the 195 Berger EOL. I went with the Nosler 28 because it can push that heavier bullet better than the 7RM. I'm going to shoot suppressed so that is the reason for the 22" barrel.
If I already had a 7RM it would not be as appealing to get the 28. But since I do not have a magnum 28 bore I like the idea of a heavier bullet with a bit more velocity.

What about 7wsm? Would get you real close to what you are looking for with the 180 berger. 7ss and wsm are really close

What action length you going to run? That might be your deciding factor

Don't have the data yet since I'm waiting on the stock to be shipped hopefully next week, but I'll be working up loads for a 7mmWSM with a short barrel suppressed. It has a 1:8.3 twist so I'm hoping to run some heavier Hammers thru it.

I'm running a 7WSM with a 25" Bartlein bbl. Using RE26 and a 143 Hammer bullet I can attain 3,350 ft/sec w/o pressure issues.
My accuracy load is at 3,200 ft/sec and is fairly mild IMO.

Just my experience.... If you load excessive powder and have powder still burning as the bullet leaves the barrel accuracy is hurt tremendously. Not saying you will but the rifle might shoot 3000 or close but if you can't hit a house standing inside of it what's the use. Some of the things I read are astounding to me. The reason we go out and shoot 8-10 recipes is to find the one that that particular barrel likes the best. It will not be the one looks like a roman candle when shot.

These groups at 500 have been pretty typical for my 22" 7RM w/ Retumbo. The IPSC shaped target is 12"x20 That was shot at ~960 in a 12-15mph L->R wind. That was using H1000. ES/SD weren't as good what Retumbo is giving me in that rifle now...Not the best ever but also not broadside of the barn either.

Attachments

• 0EEF30FA-7332-45BF-BDD7-18B0DBF26C55.jpeg
    0EEF30FA-7332-45BF-BDD7-18B0DBF26C55.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • E6992DB4-1F7D-4F60-8F9A-F410CB208469.jpeg
    E6992DB4-1F7D-4F60-8F9A-F410CB208469.jpeg
    965.3 KB · Views: 82
  • D5843AC5-7B26-4D84-8E56-1EC3ED1F15D6.jpeg
    D5843AC5-7B26-4D84-8E56-1EC3ED1F15D6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 84
I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.

That type of powder doesn't mix with a short barrel. You are trying to use slow burning powder in a short barrel. You would get more from the powder in a longer barrel. You will be burning powder beyond the end of the barrel. Gaining nothing from it except burning up powder. I would use a faster burning powder and possible a mag primer to get more out of that shorter barrel for Vel.

Mike

These groups at 500 have been pretty typical for my 22" 7RM w/ Retumbo. The IPSC shaped target is 12"x20 That was shot at ~960 in a 12-15mph L->R wind. That was using H1000. ES/SD weren't as good what Retumbo is giving me in that rifle now...Not the best ever but also not broadside of the barn either.

What speed are you getting with Retumbo?

That type of powder doesn't mix with a short barrel. You are trying to use slow burning powder in a short barrel. You would get more from the powder in a longer barrel. You will be burning powder beyond the end of the barrel. Gaining nothing from it except burning up powder. I would use a faster burning powder and possible a mag primer to get more out of that shorter barrel for Vel.

Mike

That's actually not entirely true. I talked to the guys at Hodgdon about it. The powder that gives you the fastest velocity for a given bullet weight in a cartridge will also be the powder that gives you the fastest velocity in any barrel length with that same bullet weight. It has to do with case volume, bullet weight, charge density, and subsequently generated pressure. That's why I switched to Retumbo from H1000 when I cut 5" off my 7RM and actually picked up 20fps.

No, I didn't run any H1000 in the shorter barrel. I assume pressure was similar...maybe actually slightly less with Retumbo. My H1000 load was 69.5gr. My Retumbo load is 69gr. With the 168gr you will typically get 100-120fps more with Retumbo.

No, I didn't run any H1000 in the shorter barrel. I assume pressure was similar...maybe actually slightly less with Retumbo. My H1000 load was 69.5gr. My Retumbo load is 69gr. With the 168gr you will typically get 100-120fps more with Retumbo.
You definitely have less pressure with a 1/2 grain less Retumbo. Almost everything ive run retumbo in takes about 1 grain more than H1000 for equal pressure!

Mike

Nope, that's not accurate; Chase723 got it right. The fastest powder in a long barrel will still be the fastest powder in a shorter barrel until you get into barrels under 10". Even then the difference is minimal. If you're interested in real world performance numbers from short barrels you need to spend a little time talking to the Specialty Pistol crowd.

For the OP, the 28 Nosler will easily hit the numbers you're looking for in a 22" barrel and would probably be the easiest way to get it done. If you wanted something a little different you could go with one of the Sherman rounds and probably hit your numbers too without much trouble.