cow elk@1203 yards

[ QUOTE ]
If I may ask, how did the 338 Thunder do this hunting season?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can ask my friend! In it's first season, it killed four big game animals for a combined distance of 4,632 yards. As good as that was, it could have been even better if the two sheep hunts hadn't been bow range shots and shot with regular guns at close range. Oh, well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Disappointing part was that not one Accubond was recovered. Complete destructive penetration or mushrooms lost inside jello and bones in every case. Would sure like to find one eventually! I think we could have found a mushroom in that bull elk if we had room to disect it properly. It was so thick where he fell that only one guy at a time could work on getting meat off the carcass.

[ QUOTE ]
ba19500

Nobody HAS to stir the pot. Nobody HAS to ask questions.

I would suggest that before you start acting like you are some special envoy from God placed on earth to keep the great unwashed masses from doing wrong that you go and establish you credentials as to what you know about shooting. Then when you decide you know more than the rest of us and are better than the rest of us we will have some real knowledge of exactly what you know.

Who appointed you to be the QUESTIONER?

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW !!!!!!! just a bit harsh, but very well done BB.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
ba19500

Nobody HAS to stir the pot. Nobody HAS to ask questions.

I would suggest that before you start acting like you are some special envoy from God placed on earth to keep the great unwashed masses from doing wrong that you go and establish you credentials as to what you know about shooting. Then when you decide you know more than the rest of us and are better than the rest of us we will have some real knowledge of exactly what you know.

Who appointed you to be the QUESTIONER?

[/ QUOTE ]

BBob, Wow, so you must think a 1200 yard head shot on an elk is OK? No questions allowed. Good for you. I for one am glad the animal went down, and did not run off with out its lower jaw. Which is where the bullet could have landed with just a few more inches of error . I love long range hunting and shooting but to miss the mark by that much makes me wonder where the limits are. Elk are not rock chucks in my book. Not flaming anyone , just thinking out loud.

Hvyw8t

We all know you. You have contributed to the combined knowledge of the forum.

If you choose to make a comment on where the bullet landed that is up to you. At least we all know that you are a real person.

If it is your opinion that ba19500 was a legitimate new member who simply didn't have the courtesy to introduce himself before climbing up on a soap box ,then that is your opinion. My opinion is that most people who are new to a forum would not start up an argument as their first post and if they are a legitimate new member and that is how they behave then we might as well have it out here and now.

I realize that I have been pretty irritable the last couple of weeks and yesterday afternoon I finished doing the thing that needed to be done. I should be back to a more "normal" view of the world in a week or so.

GG,

Fantastic success to say the least! You have a winner and top performer for sure.
Impressive results with the 225 gr AB. I keep asking Nosler for 338 RUM brass and a 250 gr AB bullet. I do know from Nosler that they are noticing the demand for both so you might want to go back and tell them what you want.
Thank you GG for sharing your successes with the 338 Thunder.

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that I have been pretty irritable the last couple of weeks and yesterday afternoon I finished doing the thing that needed to be done. I should be back to a more "normal" view of the world in a week or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use those new binocs and see if you can get a look @ your neighbors hot wife in her underwear or something. That ought to make you smile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

[ QUOTE ]

BBob, Wow, so you must think a 1200 yard head shot on an elk is OK? No questions allowed. Good for you. I for one am glad the animal went down, and did not run off with out its lower jaw. Which is where the bullet could have landed with just a few more inches of error . I love long range hunting and shooting but to miss the mark by that much makes me wonder where the limits are. Elk are not rock chucks in my book. Not flaming anyone , just thinking out loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually refrain from making any antagonistic posts on this particular forum, but I am so glad that at least 1 person had the objectivity to question this "shot". Is everybody else in denial? This was a clean miss and if a couple of inches off could have been a disaster! .... Unless the dude was aiming for the head , and who would do that at over 1000 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually refrain from making any antagonistic posts on this forum, but I am so glad that at least 1 person had the objectivity to question this "shot". Is everybody else in denial? This was a clean miss.... Unless the dude was aiming for the head , and who would do that at over 1000 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be impossible to prove, but from what I have heard from both long range hunters and bow hunters, more game is wounded and lost with a bow than with a long range thunder stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not that losing game is an accepted practice, but bowhunting in many circles is considered "politically correct" type of hunting because the hunter has more of a difficulty factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Additionally, bowhunters are given preference with respect to open seasons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I personally think it is more ethical to hunt with the long range thunderstick at ranges that you have both experience AND proficiency than a close shot with a 200gr arrow at less than 300 fps. Additionally, how many migratory birds are injured due to improper shot placement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If we are going to apply shot placement ethics to LR hunting, make sure you are consistent and apply it to all forms of taking game with weapon.

Just my personal preference, opinion, observations and 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.