cow elk@1203 yards

<font color="blue">The Internet shows us what lots of people 'really' are in that they can BE what they really are in anonymity… So what does this really say about people?

This is the reason that Machiavelli had no regard for anyone in pursuit of his goals – he felt that people were basically rotten inside anyway, so why care about stepping on them to get what you want.

If people were 'good' in their hearts, they could have differing opinions without being a******s to each other. If you don't want to take a long range shot, great… if someone else does, who are you to sit in judgement?

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" </font>

POP,

Here is your problem:
[ QUOTE ]
I assume

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that and you frequent a forum that you don't believe in and you don't follow it's rules.

As to the rest of your post, whatever. I have nothing else to say to a traitor.

Old Bear

Congratulations on getting your elk.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of LRH for some of the more critical posts.

Take care and good hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
BB:

Please be carefull with your choice of words. Big difference between bashing someone and raising the BS flag. When I do see BS posted I will react, just like everybody else will.
Here we have a guy taking a shot at 1203 yards and hitting the elk on the head .... inadvertently. Almost everybody praises him except me and 2 other people. Can no "hunter' here see anything wrong with this? Nobody except the aforementioned individuals?
Well I saw something really wrong and raised it.

I like being objective and I pride myself on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big game animal harvested by an individual with the proper license within the legal season.
No, I personally see nothing wrong with it.What I do see are some individuals trying to define/impose thier standard of what hunting is and what ethics are to people theyve never even hunted or went shooting with.
Most people with this idealogy are politicians,anti something or another organizations or extremely religious,hell bent on converting the world.

[ QUOTE ]
BB:

Please be carefull with your choice of words. Big difference between bashing someone and raising the BS flag. When I do see BS posted I will react, just like everybody else will.
Here we have a guy taking a shot at 1203 yards and hitting the elk on the head .... inadvertently. Almost everybody praises him except me and 2 other people. Can no "hunter' here see anything wrong with this? Nobody except the aforementioned individuals?

[/ QUOTE ]
POP, why dont you and your other 24HR bumm buddies just stay there stroking each others ego's. dont come over here acting like you have something of worth to add. you are a fraud here go where you are wanted.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB:

[/ QUOTE ]

A big game animal harvested by an individual with the proper license within the legal season.
No, I personally see nothing wrong with it.What I do see are some individuals trying to define/impose thier standard of what hunting is and what ethics are to people theyve never even hunted or went shooting with.
Most people with this idealogy are politicians,anti something or another organizations or extremely religious,hell bent on converting the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ballistic64,
very well said.
UB

I'm brand new to this forum. I have followed this since the begining. I thought it was about friends taking a older Gentleman hunting. They gave their time and money to give pleasure to a aging hunter. He had a grand time taking this elk, lucky shot or not. I have, and seen others, make both lucky shots and bads shots at far less ranges. Don't take this fine experience and good deed apart with this ethics BS.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm brand new to this forum. I have followed this since the begining. I thought it was about friends taking a older Gentleman hunting. They gave their time and money to give pleasure to a aging hunter. He had a grand time taking this elk, lucky shot or not. I have, and seen others, make both lucky shots and bads shots at far less ranges. Don't take this fine experience and good deed apart with this ethics BS.

[/ QUOTE ]
HNKSTR,
YOU must be confused???? I am on the other side of the fence. please read again from the begining and post back.
UB

i have no experience of shooting large game at long distance the furthest i have shot deer is 300 yards any further i do not have the experience so i do not attempt such shots.i find it incredible that some of you have the ability to take game past 1000 yards.
the hunt sounded gret and i am pleased that old bear got his elk .
i have been following this topic from the start and considering my limited experience had no comment to make.but i thought as far as the morality debate i thought i could give you my opinion of how things are in the uk as to regards risky shots long range shots.
my job part time is taking clients out stalking to shoot red and roe deer in both open ground and woodland the rest of the time i go hunting alone for managment of deer in forestry ground.
here in the uk a long shot is considerd by the vast majority of stalkers to be 150 to 200 yards i have been critised in the past for shooting deer at 300 yards by people who have no knowledge of long range shooting or have let me shoot them a group at 300 yards but they choose to past judgement because it is not the done thing here in the uk.
i think in the uk this shot would of been frowned apon by alot in the huting communtity because of the distance of the shot and hunting at that range is never heard of and also lots of stalkers are profesional or semi part time in the uk and to shoot over 100 deer a year is the usual.becuse of the numbers long range shots at those sort of distance would mean something would eventually go wrong.
i go hunting everyday and i personaly would be very annoyed and serously consider my ablity if i aimed at a deers shoulder and hit it in the head that is a wild miss in my books but thats only at 300 yards not 1300 where i dare say the best most competent shot in the world could miss their target because of the slightest breath of wind.
i can see both sides of this argument and ith my limied experince on long rane hunting pass no judgment on anyone even though i feel the vast majority of uk hunters would not see this as a great success.then again who hasnt thought they had set somthing up perfectly and done eveything right but something whent slighty wrong but got lucky and learnt from the experience.

What I see here, is that pop acyually does hunt and shoots mid range, he doesn't shoot beyond 500, and just believes no one else should either. This is puzzleing to me, I mean most places here on the net ya get bashed for 500 just like you would at 1k+, but when the converstion heats up pop climbs the fence to the other side.
I for one would like to once again congratulate old bear on his elk, and add that he has accomplished what I don't see myself doing in my lifetime, luck or not, he did it and I'm glad GG gave him a hand at it.
We all know GG knows how to get it done and puts alot of effort into helping others learn "how its done".
Wasn't long ago I wasn't sure of a 500 yd shot, had equipment more than capable but just not enough knoledge to use it properly.
I've learned more here in a year than I could have learned in a lifetime without help. So thanks to all the guys here, and hope next year brings more successes for the folks who do it "A FER PIECE".
JS

[ QUOTE ]
What I see here, is that pop acyually does hunt and shoots mid range, he doesn't shoot beyond 500, and just believes no one else should either. This is puzzleing to me, I mean most places here on the net ya get bashed for 500 just like you would at 1k+, but when the converstion heats up pop climbs the fence to the other side.
I for one would like to once again congratulate old bear on his elk, and add that he has accomplished what I don't see myself doing in my lifetime, luck or not, he did it and I'm glad GG gave him a hand at it.
We all know GG knows how to get it done and puts alot of effort into helping others learn "how its done".
Wasn't long ago I wasn't sure of a 500 yd shot, had equipment more than capable but just not enough knoledge to use it properly.
I've learned more here in a year than I could have learned in a lifetime without help. So thanks to all the guys here, and hope next year brings more successes for the folks who do it "A FER PIECE".
JS

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand why someone who does not advocate LR hunting would waste his time here. He must not have much to keep his time occupied. Anyway, I enjoy the site and get a lot out of it. I am laser range finder limited to 1000 yards and only wish that I could have the opportunity to play out to the 1203 range.

I know from my own shooting at my 978 yard range that anything inside of 1K I have as much confidence as if I were shooting a 22LR at 50 yards. I realize that 978 is not 1203, but I am sure based on all my shooting at that distance that I could have shot the elk in the head where I hunt. If I were shooting for drops and got a shot dispersal of 2" at 900 yards, I would shoot the shots over again to ensure that I had not made a mistake. I am not a turret tweaker since I shoot to obtain my drop charts to use in my Nightforce NP1RR scope. Shooting these drop charts in addition to gathering data really shows the shooter what he and his gear are capable of achieving. Repeated practice and and shooting to gain imperical data generate the confidence for me to make the longer range shots. I actually zero my guns at 400 and would prefer the game to stay at least that far away.

Anyway, thanks for a good site, conversation and a hearty congratulations to the Bear on a successful long range hunt.

Finally, as a 30 year Navy submarine veteran, I would like to apologize for my military friends' behavior on this site.

James

This is one of the reasons I don,t say much here,I have learned a lot on this form though. I have been long range hunting for over 35 years,made good shots and lucky shots. Also saw people miss deer at 100yds. Whatever? Old Bear had a good day and thats what hunting of any kind is about! Most of the time I don,t tell people how I hunt ,and this is why. However this is a longrange site ,Is it not?Good job Old Bear hope you do it again soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.