1410 yard cow elk

Not really sure I think some are around Vernel, but I am told they run from Vernel to Casper wyoming, so not sure yet where I will be going to stay.

Around Vernal there isn't too much but once you pass the top end of FLaming Gorge, there is nothing but endless, barren nothingness clear to Casper. Lots of places where weeds don't even grow and there are maintenance roads everywhere. It will be really easy to pick a spot out of the way to shoot.

Although he did miss with the first (sighter) shot I do believe all his connection hits were in the vital zone less than 6" apart, can't beat that at any distance. I wish I could have sighter shots sometimes but here in the flat lands just not possible.

His first shot was NOT described as a sighter, it was intended to hit the elk. Therefore it was simply a miscalculation and a miss. The third one in a row over two animals at that range.

Yes, GG is a very precise shot and once he had the adjustment he shot a very impressive group for that range -- I'm certainly not arguing that. But there is a difference between precision and accuracy, and for a shot of that distance you need both. Precision means little if the group is centered where it shouldn't be. I care a hell of a lot more about the accuracy of the 1st shot than the precision of follow-ups, a poor accuracy wounding shot on the first round and that elk might not stick around to see how precise the follow-ups are.

This thread reminds me of one a couple years back. Unless I am mistaken it was a bedded cow that GG had someone shoot with his gun at a pretty long poke (was it 1200 or so? I can't remember). The first two impacts were in the guts before they walked them into the vitals. I was just getting set up for long range at that point, and given those results with GG's obvious talent, experience, and equipment, I questioned how far I should really be practicing to shoot big game. I came to the decision on 800 yards for my setup, and have felt comfortable with that decision. My reasoning is that I will never have the opportunity for enough long range practice nor the equipment of GG, therefore I will never have his skills. And if he was experiencing that degree of difficulty with first-round hits I was not going to approach the ranges he was trying.

Now we have a couple more reports over the past 2 years, GG you are still pushing the range out even though you're not putting the first round (or rounds) where you intend them. This year you'd already missed one animal multiple times at that range, then missed another before you finally connected. It's not that occasional mistakes are happening as can happen to everybody, but doing so either with yourself or someone else behind the trigger of your gun consistently.

This is not a long range issue, I'd be saying this to someone who shot with similar results at 100 yards. I like LRH as much as anyone and enjoy all the reports here where people do their homework and put the first round where it counts 90%+ of the time. Elk are not rock chucks, perhaps you should stick to rock chucks at those ranges until your first-round reliability increases out there. I'm not going to say you should follow my self-imposed limit as obviously you and your equipment should be able to get equivalent results further, but while I admire your skill and obvious preparation I'm not so impressed with the results. There should be a difference between punching steel or rock chucks and an elk.

Yeah I'm sure this will make me real popular...it's a legitimate observation however so before some of you leap in realize I'm quite comfortable with it and don't give a hoot about the "you'll never be GG" and whatever other crap you want to throw at me. I have communicated my appreciation for the help many of you have given me over the years ad nauseum (and I thank GG for helping me decide on a range limit before I had to learn the hard way) but that does not mean anything goes.

ATH,

I do remember your posts from years ago and although your knowledge of this sport has increased, you still sound the same. I don't mean that in a negative way, just simply that you are complaining of things that, quite frankly, you couldn't possibly understand because you weren't there. I guess it goes back to the old saying of giving a guy the benefit of the doubt. Although I do my best to remember the details and to try to incorporate as many of them into my story as I can, I sometimes leave things out by accident. Well that and I simply don't have the time I would like to write before my computer times me out.

As to your points, they are legitimate and you are obviously entitled to your opinion. However, be mindful that you may not be in total possession of all the facts. One of which is the "sighter" point you made. Actually, there were no sighters. It is called a miss. A miss with the added benefit of being able to see where it would miss if it did so. The shot would not have been taken if this luxury was not present.

Why did the first shot miss on the first elk? I explained that already but here it is again. My scope bottomed out 100 yards before the desired distance. But I knew my drops in inches for the difference and the elk were in an area they really could not get out of. So I estimated my hold based off my reticle and tried a shot. Clean miss. Then the elk started moving further and further out and they got to a point where I knew I couldn't hit them. Know, if they'd stayed in the original spot, I could have probably killed the elk, but they just meandered out of range. "Then why did you attempt the shot?" I can hear you think. Well, like you already mentioned, at that range, the animals just stand there and don't know what to do. The sound is so faint that they don't associate it with danger. So I knew I'd have a couple chances if needed and also, as already mentioned, they were in a steep muddy area with a good background and my spotter could see everything that happened. It was actually a better set up than what 99% of the elk taken by the other 99% of people are subjected to.

On the second elk (the one I killed) I only hinted at the reason why I felt I missed the first shot. If you look at the pictures, you will see that for the first elk, I set up on hard packed snow with my rifle rest and the angle was shallower. But on the second elk, we were in fresh snow and I could not make the rest or the bipods work. So I flipped the sled over to use as a shooting bench. And the angle was steeper now. So I had to use sandbags piled up on top of the rest, on top of the sled. Well, this seemed pretty steady but I felt the plastic "bounce" under the recoil of the rifle and anyone who knows anything about precision shooting knows that the rifle must recoil consistently for any kind of consistent accuracy. It is magnified with a heavy kicker like my gun. This caused the shot to hit low and there was no way to know about this until I tried it. Then, as you read, the next four shots were all vital shots and grouped quite well because I knew how to hold the gun to compensate for the bouncy rest.

The next thing I omitted from my story was the fact that these elk were in an area that made them vulnerable. The snow in their escape routes was belly deep and they just stayed within a quarter mile of the same area for a month. I was prepared to track them down if needed.

As to the gut shot elk that was killed earlier (I can't believe we're still hashing this but I'll humor you) the gut shot was followed by a kill shot not more than 20 seconds later and the elk died. It was killed by someone under my supervision and under similar circumstances. It was no different than someone gut shooting a running elk at 200 yards and then putting the next bullet where it counted to kill it. Only difference is the numbers.
ANd that elk has long since been eaten so enough of that.........

As to the other animals you mention, I don't know what you're talking about. Must have been someone else.

As to your suggestion of killing a few more rockchucks to practice before I go after big game, again, you have no idea what you're talking about. I kill plenty of chucks and shoot plenty of gongs but that won't always prepare you for everything you can encounter. You have to be flexible and push the envelope all the time. If you don't have confidence in your abilities to make perfect hits in perfect conditions AND confidence to correct mistakes when things don't go as planned, then you need to find another sport.

I think you could ask RHB or my pops if there was ever a moment during my hunt when they felt we wouldn't be able to pull this off and they'd both give you a resounding, "NO". And I'd lay you 10 to 1 odds I could do it again tomorrow if needed. It was no surprise to us because we know how many rockchucks, prairie dogs, and gongs have been used to sharpen our skills.

Now, I have some questions for you ATH. Now that you've extended your personal range (by your own admittance of gleaning info from this site) and you have been enlightened as to the possiblilities, can you look me in the eye and tell me you've never had anything not go your way in the field? Can you have the only perfect hunting career known to man? Can you hit a target at 800 yards with whatever gun you use on the first shot every time? If you can, then it's because of things you've learned on this site and possibly others. But if ever you don't have a perfect day, you can remember that none of the rest of us are perfect either but we make the best of it. But anyway you want to look at it, I know and you know that you're not going to try another shot because the first one missed.

Last edited:
GG
Very well put and I would totally agree with your comments. ATH you probably started 0-300 yards like the rest of us and through education and trial and error you have become confident and comfortably out to 800 yards. Great. Goodgrouper has become confortable and confident out to farther distances. Please don't put down other people successses because of our lack of ability to shoot at those distances. It inspire myself and others. GG Thanks for the stories and your wealth of information you share with us. Thanks IP

GG
Very well put and I would totally agree with your comments. ATH you probably started 0-300 yards like the rest of us and through education and trial and error you have become confident and comfortably out to 800 yards. Great. Goodgrouper has become confortable and confident out to farther distances. Please don't put down other people successses because of our lack of ability to shoot at those distances. It inspire myself and others. GG Thanks for the stories and your wealth of information you share with us. Thanks IP

IP, well put. I would hate to lose GG as a resource, and comrade due to others speculation and inability to withhold negative comments. People like GG are rare and are vital to my learning curve as well as others aspiring to get a handle on this sport.

GG,

You misunderstand, I know there was no sighter. I was correcting a previous poster who labeled it that.

Let me clarify the events I'm referring to:
949? yd cow elk - 2 shots in the rear hip before walking forward to land a vital shot
1203 yd cow elk - shot in the head -- the aiming point was NOT the head, this was simply a lucky miss that could just have easily been in the gut if the animal had been facing the opposite way, just dumb luck.
1400 yd cow elk - Fired two misses at previous animal at same range, missed once on this animal before connecting.

You are correct, I am not perfect. However, I am capable of passing on shots where I do not feel I am 90%+ likely to make a heart/lung shot. I am actually 100% successful to date on shots that would be considered by most long range with the weapon used (400+ yds with a rifle of any caliber or 250+ yds with a muzzleloader); my history with a rifle is relatively shot but check the ballistics on a 400yd muzzleloader shot and you will see I am no stranger to large drop and wind compensations. This is not luck, but the willingness to be ethical in passing shots that are beyond my ability to accurately predict. Too much wind, not a good enough rest....no shot. You make excuses for your rest, but that is something YOU control and you are free to pass a shot. I passed what would have been my largest ever buck this year as the wind was outside my comfort zone on a 400yd muzzleloader shot.

No one is perfect and things happen, I of course understand this happens to every hunter occasionally. The reason I single you out is this is the third elk hunt in 3-4 years that you have reported a similar outcome. Unless you hunt 20 elk a year, this is not an occasional mistake but a regular occurrence in the way you hunt. In fact when you reported that you were going out to try 1400+ yards this year, I must admit I have been checking back just to confirm my bet that you would not come back with a first round kill this year either...and it was on two animals in a row this year not just one, so can you understand why I do not treat this as an occasional error?

You said "If you don't have confidence in your abilities to make perfect hits in perfect conditions AND confidence to correct mistakes when things don't go as planned, then you need to find another sport." The problem I see here is that unless you're shooting a ton of big game animals at this range that I have not seen the reports on, you have confidence in skill that does not exist at this range. Skill would be I don't see these reports of bad shots and misses year after year.

Would I let a miss stop me from trying again? That depends. At that range, heck yes. When my elk this year at half that distance did not react to the shots, my stomach sunk because that would have been the last long shot I tried until I got back to a range and figured out why the heck I was missing shots I should have been making. I respect the animals too much to keep slinging lead downrange with no idea why I am not connecting where intended.

If I saw some regret in the outcome, I'd give you more leeway. But the vibe I get is that since there's deep snow and you're willing to track, and you think you'll get more shots anyways as they won't run (but on the 1203 yd elk you reported they DID run after the first shot so that assumption is hardly foolproof), you are not concerned with making the first shot count. I was raised that any non-heart/lung shot is a miss and something to be corrected and NOT treated as a success. I will not put assumptions in your mouth as I am reading between the lines, but if you feel simply hitting the animal the first time and going from there is acceptable I am not apologetic about disagreeing.

This is NOT about the range of the shot. It is about the repeated poor result annually at whatever the range be it 2 yards or 2000 yards.

Idaho Preacher,

Whatever range I shoot is immaterial. This is the "you are just jealous" defense, and not only is it weak it is untrue and beside the point, simply a diversionary tactic. As you would know if you knew my handle on other forums, I spend quite a bit of time STRONGLY defending the right of any hunter to shoot as far as they can reliably make that first kill shot. Lord knows I get hit a lot for 300-400yd muzzleloader kills. My point here is that GG blows that first shot on a frequent basis yet sees nothing wrong with that and the only reason I go here is I have been watching this go on several years now. Other people read this site -- some who do not like what goes on or are new and forming an opinion. If we do not address questionable behavior among our own what credibility is there?

If you think the elk will just stand there, perhaps it IS time for that first shot to be a sighter on some nearby rock, then your ability to shoot nice small groups once you make that correction will put the first shot at the animal where it belongs more frequently?

It is examples like this, when brought up (and that 940 yd elk shot in the hip has on other forums), that make it harder to defend.

Now if I am incorrect and you do shoot some large number of big game at 900+ yards each year and these examples you post represent only a small fraction of the animals you have taken at those ranges and you have a long record of first shot vital zone hits I am not aware of, please share as I would be false in much of what I say. As you pointed out, I may not have all the facts.

I'm not going to drag the board down in a pages-long brawl here, I know GG is not going to change his behavior as he is so confident in his ability, though I think the results show it to be exaggerated somewhat at the ranges he is attempting. I'm sure most of it would just be a few of you who have no idea who I am or what my skills or background are attacking me because I dared to criticize your friend, which is worthless pages to add here. I'll just leave this thread with the comment that the reason I felt compelled to approach this was out of respect for the integrity of our sport and what this site is about (developing the skills and equipment to reliably and ethically deliver lethal shots on game at long range), and the people who do it right and make those first shots count. I'm not some newbie troll here, I have been here for years and respect many of the guys here.

Excuse me but is this not longrangehunting.com. People miss, it just shows how much character GG has by telling the truth, I am reasonably sure that you do not have a perfect shot record. If you do well then you are in a league of your own and to good to be on this forum listening to us.

I can go to my range and hit the 1000 yard target first shot every time, that does not mean I can hit a live animal in the field at 1000 yards on first shot everytime. If the conditions are good I will take the shot but I can't guarentee I will make a perfect hit every time as mistales happen. So you see you can practice all you want but you will never be able to guarentee a perfect shot everytime, If you think you can at any range you are delusional.

, I am reasonably sure that you do not have a perfect shot record. If you do well then you are in a league of your own and to good to be on this forum listening to us.

I can go to my range and hit the 1000 yard target first shot every time, that does not mean I can hit a live animal in the field at 1000 yards on first shot everytime. If the conditions are good I will take the shot but I can't guarentee I will make a perfect hit every time as mistales happen. So you see you can practice all you want but you will never be able to guarentee a perfect shot everytime, If you think you can at any range you are delusional.

You make some great points here Mikebob. Anyone who pretends that there's not a chance to miss anywhere, anytime, at any distance and then uses that as an excuse to judge another hunter is not only delusional, but not being honest about themselves or about the very nature of hunting. ANd furthermore, anyone who claims to have never missed is MORE than delusional in my book.

ATH,

What you are talking about is personal hunting ethics. Why do you feal obligated to impose your ethics on others? No doubt you are aware Len has specifically asked us not to do this.

No one only takes shots they are 100% certain of. Such shots DON'T exist. Something can always go wrong. Maybe we better all stay home, in comfy fairy land.

GG,

You misunderstand, I know there was no sighter. I was correcting a previous poster who labeled it that.

Let me clarify the events I'm referring to:
949? yd cow elk - 2 shots in the rear hip before walking forward to land a vital shot
1203 yd cow elk - shot in the head -- the aiming point was NOT the head, this was simply a lucky miss that could just have easily been in the gut if the animal had been facing the opposite way, just dumb luck.
1400 yd cow elk - Fired two misses at previous animal at same range, missed once on this animal before connecting.

You are correct, I am not perfect. However, I am capable of passing on shots where I do not feel I am 90%+ likely to make a heart/lung shot. I am actually 100% successful to date on shots that would be considered by most long range with the weapon used (400+ yds with a rifle of any caliber or 250+ yds with a muzzleloader); my history with a rifle is relatively shot but check the ballistics on a 400yd muzzleloader shot and you will see I am no stranger to large drop and wind compensations. This is not luck, but the willingness to be ethical in passing shots that are beyond my ability to accurately predict. Too much wind, not a good enough rest....no shot. You make excuses for your rest, but that is something YOU control and you are free to pass a shot. I passed what would have been my largest ever buck this year as the wind was outside my comfort zone on a 400yd muzzleloader shot.

No one is perfect and things happen, I of course understand this happens to every hunter occasionally. The reason I single you out is this is the third elk hunt in 3-4 years that you have reported a similar outcome. Unless you hunt 20 elk a year, this is not an occasional mistake but a regular occurrence in the way you hunt. In fact when you reported that you were going out to try 1400+ yards this year, I must admit I have been checking back just to confirm my bet that you would not come back with a first round kill this year either...and it was on two animals in a row this year not just one, so can you understand why I do not treat this as an occasional error?

You said "If you don't have confidence in your abilities to make perfect hits in perfect conditions AND confidence to correct mistakes when things don't go as planned, then you need to find another sport." The problem I see here is that unless you're shooting a ton of big game animals at this range that I have not seen the reports on, you have confidence in skill that does not exist at this range. Skill would be I don't see these reports of bad shots and misses year after year.

Would I let a miss stop me from trying again? That depends. At that range, heck yes. When my elk this year at half that distance did not react to the shots, my stomach sunk because that would have been the last long shot I tried until I got back to a range and figured out why the heck I was missing shots I should have been making. I respect the animals too much to keep slinging lead downrange with no idea why I am not connecting where intended.

If I saw some regret in the outcome, I'd give you more leeway. But the vibe I get is that since there's deep snow and you're willing to track, and you think you'll get more shots anyways as they won't run (but on the 1203 yd elk you reported they DID run after the first shot so that assumption is hardly foolproof), you are not concerned with making the first shot count. I was raised that any non-heart/lung shot is a miss and something to be corrected and NOT treated as a success. I will not put assumptions in your mouth as I am reading between the lines, but if you feel simply hitting the animal the first time and going from there is acceptable I am not apologetic about disagreeing.

This is NOT about the range of the shot. It is about the repeated poor result annually at whatever the range be it 2 yards or 2000 yards.

Idaho Preacher,

Whatever range I shoot is immaterial. This is the "you are just jealous" defense, and not only is it weak it is untrue and beside the point, simply a diversionary tactic. As you would know if you knew my handle on other forums, I spend quite a bit of time STRONGLY defending the right of any hunter to shoot as far as they can reliably make that first kill shot. Lord knows I get hit a lot for 300-400yd muzzleloader kills. My point here is that GG blows that first shot on a frequent basis yet sees nothing wrong with that and the only reason I go here is I have been watching this go on several years now. Other people read this site -- some who do not like what goes on or are new and forming an opinion. If we do not address questionable behavior among our own what credibility is there?

If you think the elk will just stand there, perhaps it IS time for that first shot to be a sighter on some nearby rock, then your ability to shoot nice small groups once you make that correction will put the first shot at the animal where it belongs more frequently?

It is examples like this, when brought up (and that 940 yd elk shot in the hip has on other forums), that make it harder to defend.

Now if I am incorrect and you do shoot some large number of big game at 900+ yards each year and these examples you post represent only a small fraction of the animals you have taken at those ranges and you have a long record of first shot vital zone hits I am not aware of, please share as I would be false in much of what I say. As you pointed out, I may not have all the facts.

I'm not going to drag the board down in a pages-long brawl here, I know GG is not going to change his behavior as he is so confident in his ability, though I think the results show it to be exaggerated somewhat at the ranges he is attempting. I'm sure most of it would just be a few of you who have no idea who I am or what my skills or background are attacking me because I dared to criticize your friend, which is worthless pages to add here. I'll just leave this thread with the comment that the reason I felt compelled to approach this was out of respect for the integrity of our sport and what this site is about (developing the skills and equipment to reliably and ethically deliver lethal shots on game at long range), and the people who do it right and make those first shots count. I'm not some newbie troll here, I have been here for years and respect many of the guys here.

ATH,
Not that I give a tinker's **** about what you think, or about what you think I should do when it comes to MY HUNTING (I emphasize MY HUNTING because it's MINE) but your post does require corrections.

The 946 elk died from a kill shot. It matters NOT that there were previous shots. The elk was harvested.

The 1203 yard elk was a called head shot and the video proves it. Even if it wasn't, you are AGAIN worrying about the "what if's" instead of the "what are's". The "what are's" are fact. The fact is the elk was dead before it hit the ground and it was one shot one kill yet you still bitch about it. This is, by the way, you're holy grail of hunting isn't it? One shot one kill. Good for you but it doesn't always work like that. In this case it did and you still bitch.

The first elk of my hunt WAS NOT the same distance as the one I took. If you didn't have selective reading problems, then you would have seen it was almost 200 yards farther.

My rest problem was not something I could control. Again, if you didn't have selective reading problems, you would have read that the problem was not known UNTIL the actual firing process occured.

Actually, I said I wanted to make a 1500 yard plus shot this year, not 1400. But I took the 1400 yard shot because it was doable and the 1500 wasn't. Again, selective reading problems.

You say: " The problem I see here is that unless you're shooting a ton of big game animals at this range that I have not seen the reports on, you have confidence in skill that does not exist at this range. Skill would be I don't see these reports of bad shots and misses year after year."

TO which I say: You have not seen all the reports and all the misses are learning experiences. ANd I will also point out AGAIN, I HAVE NEVER LOST A BIG GAME ANIMAL. I don't take shots I feel I can't make and if takes two shots then it takes two shots. It's worked and my record shows it. If its luck rather than skill, could have fooled me.

THis is not a correction, this is an observation.
You said: Would I let a miss stop me from trying again? That depends. At that range, heck yes. When my elk this year at half that distance did not react to the shots, my stomach sunk because that would have been the last long shot I tried until I got back to a range and figured out why the heck I was missing shots I should have been making. I respect the animals too much to keep slinging lead downrange with no idea why I am not connecting where intended.

I noticed you said "shots"". So you did break your one shot rule. You couldn't tell if the elk was hit yet you kept shooting? Hmmmmmmm.... how's that again?

Back to corrections:

On the 1203 yard elk, the other elk did run but not from fear of what was going on with being shot at. They ran because the cow's head exploded in such a loud "whop" that it scared them off. They probably never even heard the gunshot.

I wasn't aiming for the heart or lungs. I always aim for the shoulder--especially on elk. It's the only way to break them down. Heart punched elk can run 1/2 mile before dying. I know because I've seen it happen--twice! So hitting the shoulder on the first shot is my goal, but hitting the heart is also every bowhunters goal, breaking the wings is every pheasant hunter's goal, a headshot is every elephant hunters goal, and so on and so forth.

Oh, and by the way, I did make those first shots count. They helped me kill the elk.

The poor result you speak of is interesting. Dead animals, every year, at ranges I know and practice at. And not one loss. HMMMMM.........not sure what's so poor about that??

ANd I find it funny that you think you have to defend what long range hunting is on other sites but turn around and make more of stink than anyone else has here. If you had followed anything I have done lately, you would know that I gave up trying to be P.C. to the anti-hunters AND the anti-long range hunters. So I report the facts in honesty and I don't leave out the things that get guys like you all stirred up. Frankly, I just don't give a **** anymore. I don't give up because the first shot might not hit and I don't make any apologies for it. I follow through and get the job done MY WAY and that means to stick with it until the animal falls. And I'm not going to let naysayers win by obeying the way THEY think it should be. Quite frankly, I think quitting the hunt because the first shot missed is just that---quitting. And you are being terribly dishonest to act like anyone in their right mind is going to stop the hunt because the first shot missed. Especially on a trophy animal.

I just hope you have the balls to come on here and tell everyone that you gut shot an elk at 800 yards and let it go because you forgot to adjust your parallax or your shooting sticks popped just as you pulled the trigger, or when your gloves set off your trigger, or something like that happened that you couldn't control and you didn't want to follow up on the elk because it would break your one shot rule. But then again, if you did have the kahoonies to do so, you would be doing it on a prison computer because you are required by law to finish off and retrieve any mortally wounded animal you shoot at and any fishcop in the world isn't going to go nice on you just because "you only fired one shot".

Tell you what, if you can publicly agree (or admit) that you will only take one cartridge with you on every hunt you go on from now until you die, I will forget about the above paragraph and we'll just brush it under the rug. That's fair isn't it? You shouldn't have any problem with that.

Last edited:
ATH,

No one only takes shots they are 100% certain of. Such shots DON'T exist. Something can always go wrong. Maybe we better all stay home, in comfy fairy land.

Well put Grit. Reminds me of Grumpier Old Men when Walter Mathaau says, "must be nice living in never-never land, maybe I'll come visit when I need a break from reality".

Last edited:
Len has specifically asked us not to do this.

Thanks for the reminder, grit. I just got back from a little 2 day trip to see this thread. Can everyone please stop talking ethics in this thread.

Thanks

GREAT post, you can never have too many pictures. The only thing that would make it better is A really good harvest pic with the animal positioned better

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.