1410 yard cow elk

Great yarn and pics GG! You can't beat those mountains! We've been hunting Sika deer with those 300gn SMK's this past week, nothing real long, just out to 700 yards. They just punch these middle sized deer to the ground!
Greg

Great yarn and pics GG! You can't beat those mountains! We've been hunting Sika deer with those 300gn SMK's this past week, nothing real long, just out to 700 yards. They just punch these middle sized deer to the ground!
Greg

Thanks NZ. I love our foothills but I could do without the scrub oak that infests them! Luckily, it thins out when the elevation goes up.

Do you have any pics of your hunts? 700 yards is still a good poke!

So I'm watching a science show on PBS the other night about ibex and red deer in the Austrian Alps and I learned something (wow imagine that, a tv program that you can actually learn something from!) that was very interesting. According to the show, during the harsh alpine winters, the red deer enter in to a metabolic transformation in which they lower their metabolism as much as 50% to cope with the lack of vegetation. Their lungs, heart, pulminary, and endocrine system slow down to conserve energy. If predators threaten them during this time, the deer can't quite kick into their "flight or fight" response as quickly and it is like they are running in their minds but their bodies are only trotting.

So it got me to thinking, maybe that is what happens to Elk during winter here in the Rockies too. My elk was hit 4 times but never even acted like one shot was fired. So I ran a search and sure enough, I found several studies done by graduate students in which this was noted in elk and deer in the west.

I have always kept my ear to the ground about wildlife biology before but I have never heard this until now. INteresting..........

and it is like they are running in their minds but their bodies are only trotting..... ......

Mighty interesting! ...and I like it! your elk was like in his body it got shot with a cannon 4 times but in his mind he got hit with a pellet gun! :)

I believe it, it's also funny! :D

There was an article recently about elk wintertime coping mechanisms. The article stated that they are able to lower their metabolism such that they do not burn as much energy and give off as much heat. Thus they can get by on less food under colder temperatures. This would imply that their respiratory system is slowed down and that their circulatory system is slowed down. With such a slow system, it will take longer for an animal to either bleed to death of die of suffocation. With all of the hair it is possible to close off the wound so the lungs do not collapse and the animals still has partial lung capacity (this happened to me two years ago with an antelope). This allows the animal to keep up a slow supply of oxygen to the brain and muscles.

A quote from Buffalobob from earlier in this thread. He gives good advice (as well as amusing)

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.