cow elk@1203 yards

[ QUOTE ]
That is some beautiful country you guys have there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like home! Nice work gentlemen!

Congrats to Old Bear on a magnificent shot./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Prayers on the way for a successful surgery.

HBB

Thanks everyone for your kind words. And thanks for pointing out that I wrote the wrong date down. I can tell it's still January because I keep catching myself writing 06 instead of 07. I guess there were too many numbers we were thinking about at the time!

One other thing I noticed is that the third and fourth picture were captioned wrong. After taking the shot, we drove the trucks a little closer for meat pickup. The third pic is taken from that location which was probably 300 yards closer and then the trucks in the fourth pic were in the pickup spot and the bench is not in that pic. It was several hundred yards further back. Thanks for pointing that out old bear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is the real location of the shot marked by the red crosshair. Then the red line is where we drove to pickup the meat.
killspotlookingback3.jpg

RHB and IP,

Wish you guys could have been there. It would have felt like a rockchuck hunt with all of us there.

I understand the first thing old bear did while Dave and I were up getting the meat was call 7mmrhb and tell him the story!

Old Bear had me on speed dial before you got very far from the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifHe was pretty stoked about the shot and kept telling me it was 1yd longer than his chuck shot two years ago. I told him that since he had pulled a (Kirby) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and hadn't turned the chuck shot in for the thousand yard club, that he should use this Elk shot instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifHe was one happy hunter!!

I wonder if the VHA considers Elk a varmint????--RHB--

Great Story and Congrats to Old Bear on a excellent shot.

Prayers on the way for a successful surgery.

GG, Looks like Thunder has had a great year!!

Mike

Great story and shot. Sounds like the thunder folded her up in a hurry. By the way whats all that white stuff on the ground? Its been in the high 60's here in VA for a while now.

[ QUOTE ]
GG, Looks like Thunder has had a great year!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it did. Better than expected and I'm just tickled pink about it because I wanted to build a gun that could be enjoyed by others as well as myself.

By the way old bear, I got the video transferred onto vhs today and it looks great!! You can actually hear the bullet strike the elk just about the time she has slid down the mountian 20 yards or so!

The elk do look pretty distant and are just a little fuzzy but you can make out the elk and the reaction to the hit.

How did the surgery go? Tried to call you but no answer.

Goodgrouper
You know what is amazing, bull elk 1302 yards, doe antelope 1068 yards, cow elk (Old Bear) 1203 yards and don't forget your buck deer 1059 yards. These big game animals were all killed by different people with the same gun (Thunder) in the same year. Your equipment is a tribute to your success of a marksman and others. Most people learn to hunt before they learn to become a marksman. I am guilty of that. I think the Thunder should only be 1000 yard killing machine, if less then pull out the trusty old 300 win mag out. Thanks for the stories and pic. I look forward to them. That is truely amazing to me. IP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts