Cost of a Custom Rifle with Glass

I've got full blown custom rifles too that I've spent $6k+ on, but I built built my complete 280 AI for just under $1300 which includes smith work and glass, just wheeling and dealing.

-Rem 700 blueprinted action W/PT&G one piece bolt
-TriggerTech Special trigger
-Callahan SpeedLock
-Holland Recoil Lug
-PT&G Bottom Metal
-Brux #4 Fluted barrel
-McMillan Hunter Stock
-Hawkins LR Hybrid Rings/Bases
-Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44
How? The stock and scope even used cost $1300 lol

...lol, anyway you look at it..."it hain't cheap" and you basically get what you pay for....I don't think the average Joe realizes the cost of the optics that are used...it still shocks me everytime I take the bait...as the old wives tale goes " the difference between men and boys us the price of their toys"...
I guess I'm just a boy 👦

Just finished two full customs. Both using terminus actions. One is a on an XLR chassis with heavy steel barrel total rig weighs 20# with optics. Other one is my mountain hunting rifle 7# with no optic /sling / bipod (manners stock, Proof CF barrel, TT, Hawkins bottom metal, etc, etc)

Both rigs without optics, bipods, slings, dies, brass, etc….just the bare rifle were about $4500/ea. Add my ZCO, bipods, slings, dies, etc to my chassis build and it's about $10k

Definitely could buy something factory for a hell of a lot less and likely get close to same accuracy but I enjoy the process of the build and spec'ing it exactly the way I want. 🤷
This is definitely more inline with my experience, 4-5 bare gun.

Ditto ! Let me know when you want to go. I'll meet you at your house.

We'll have to look into that, though I hope you can live with company….my wife won't let me go to a "firearms atmosphere" without her! 😉 She likes to look at (not purchase though) nice firearms! Plus, we don't get out much….a little road trip over the hill and the sights of the "big city" may be good for her! 😂 memtb

My advice to shooter's over the years whether they are on a budget or not to buy the best glass they can afford. I have found that most of the time you can take care in tweaking the rifle and the loads and end up shooting 1/2" moa and less. I own several factory rifles that do this. I also own some custom rifles none of them shoot any better. You can buy a Lamborghini or a good old F150 both will get you where you are going. If you want high end custom and can afford it go for it ain't nothing wrong with that!

What would you spend or have spent?

What is your budget (costs) for a complete custom rifle with glass if you were having someone build for you or you building?
Since today I finally finished our Taxes and had a lot of receipts to go over.

I was tabulating some costs of our rifles from last year with glass including purchase price shipping & taxes. We have (5) builds like this.
$1,500 - Stock with inlet & bedding or Chassis
$500.00 to $2,000.00 for BiPod or Front Rest
$1,500 - $2,000.00 - Action
$550.00 for SS Barrel
$800.00 for CF Barrel
Buy (2) Same Barrels at the same time. First barrel to Dial in and or Fire Form and Second for having an accurate rifle.
$300.00 to 400.00 Trigger
$300.00 - $400.00 for Scope Mount
$200.00- Brake
$3,000.00 to $4,000.00 + for Glass
$300.00 ++++ for Gunsmith to Chamber Fit & Finish
$300.00 - $400.00 for Dies - Only component for reloading, all the other reloading components $$$$.

Glass is the most expensive component.

$8,500.00+ mid
You're pretty close.Ive custom two 6GTs a 30 Sherman Magnum, a 33XC, a 375 Cheytac, a 6mmARC, A 6.5 PRC And the cheapest one less the glass was 5,800.00

Gunwerks Nexus with NF nx8 4-32.
Hand it down to next generation. Google it.
I've got one on route. It's been stuck at the border for six weeks and counting…🤬 I went with the Leupold Mark5 3.6 to 18.

I got to handle one in person last year, though I didn't have a chance to fire it. It has the same stock as a magnus with some tweaks, though, which I have fired and really liked.

I'll let you know if it lives up to the hype when it gets here.

What would you spend or have spent?

What is your budget (costs) for a complete custom rifle with glass if you were having someone build for you or you building?
Since today I finally finished our Taxes and had a lot of receipts to go over.

I was tabulating some costs of our rifles from last year with glass including purchase price shipping & taxes. We have (5) builds like this.
$1,500 - Stock with inlet & bedding or Chassis
$500.00 to $2,000.00 for BiPod or Front Rest
$1,500 - $2,000.00 - Action
$550.00 for SS Barrel
$800.00 for CF Barrel
Buy (2) Same Barrels at the same time. First barrel to Dial in and or Fire Form and Second for having an accurate rifle.
$300.00 to 400.00 Trigger
$300.00 - $400.00 for Scope Mount
$200.00- Brake
$3,000.00 to $4,000.00 + for Glass
$300.00 ++++ for Gunsmith to Chamber Fit & Finish
$300.00 - $400.00 for Dies - Only component for reloading, all the other reloading components $$$$.

Glass is the most expensive component.

$8,500.00+ mid range cost.
It all depends on what your application or intent for this rifle is.If it's just a Hunting rifle I would not spend the money.If it's a competition or target rifle like ELR Id do just as you and spend as much as it takes to get what I want.You can definitely build it cheaper by buying the parts and taking to machinist/gunsmith yourself.As long as your satisfied it really doesn't matter.Lets see photos your n ew rifle