Disassembly a bolt action with glass bedding?

xugz0212

I took the action and barrel off the stock from my brand new "browning x bolt carbon fiber suppressor ready" yesterday for cleaning. Haven't shoot the rifle since purchased on January. After unscrewed the two screws on the butt, I tried to pulled the action and barrel up carefully. But certainly it's stuck and I have to put a bit more force to take it off from the stock. After taking it off, I can see the glass bedding on the stock. I'm feeling no release agent was applied on the bedding which bonds the receiver and bedding surface together. I've read a few posts online saying do not take action and barrel off the stock if it's glass bedded. So now I'm start to worry if i may damage my rifle bedding which would affect its accuracy? Also, do i need to apply release agent to the bedding surface now?

BTW, anyone have any idea about the torque of the two screws on the action? I used ~20 in/lb to unscrew them, which seems kinda low to me as this is a composite stock with carbon fiber dip surface.

Thanks a lot!

It's fine to remove the barreled action from a bedded stock, and it shouldn't just fall out if bedded correctly. If they didn't use a release agent you wouldn't have been able to remove the barreled action from the stock, and applying one now won't do anything.

Had there been no release agent, it would have been glued to the stock.
You haven't hurt anything.

It's hard to say what the torque should be if it has no pillars or bedding blocks.

I'd just tighten it well and check the torque to make sure the screws are the same, then adjust from there if you see a need.

I took the action and barrel off the stock from my brand new "browning x bolt carbon fiber suppressor ready" yesterday for cleaning. Haven't shoot the rifle since purchased on January. After unscrewed the two screws on the butt, I tried to pulled the action and barrel up carefully. But certainly it's stuck and I have to put a bit more force to take it off from the stock. After taking it off, I can see the glass bedding on the stock. I'm feeling no release agent was applied on the bedding which bonds the receiver and bedding surface together. I've read a few posts online saying do not take action and barrel off the stock if it's glass bedded. So now I'm start to worry if i may damage my rifle bedding which would affect its accuracy? Also, do i need to apply release agent to the bedding surface now?

BTW, anyone have any idea about the torque of the two screws on the action? I used ~20 in/lb to unscrew them, which seems kinda low to me as this is a composite stock with carbon fiber dip surface.

Thanks a lot!
After bedding countless synthetic stocks I know there is a 'knack' to parting the stock from the action if no clearance for the recoil lug hasn't been made.
Instead of prising the barrel/action up and out of the stock by the barrel, use the bolt as a lever from the rear of the action and pull up on BOTH the bolt and barrel evenly upward.
Sometimes, just lifting with the bolt gets the recoil lug moving just enough to 'pop' the whole action free.
All Ruger 77's I glass bed have the recoil lug firmly bedded, no clearance is made for the sides, front or under the lug, it is snug so that the rifle is pulled into the bedding when the front screw is tightened.
Your X-Bolt is similar to this, as the lug rests in the stock and a recess in the action abutts the lug, it should be tight for positive bedding.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.