Glass Bedding

7ultra

In the next few days I should have my Winchester Sporter LT in to have a muzzle break installed. Even though I haven't shot the gun yet, should I just go ahead and have the gun glass bedded?

I take it you have a synthetic stock. If not, definitely get at least the ACTION glass bedded. No matter what the stock material, free float that barrel so you can slide 2 sheets of paper around and down the barrel without resistance. I could tell you some serious nightmare stories of working up loads in a couple guns before I floated the barrels. I wouldn't even consider shooting new rifles without floating the barrels first anymore.

Also, glass bedding the action can help a synthetic stock if the action does not fit perfect/has pressure points.

A proper bed job never hurt accuracy of any rifle. It will only help, especially in a wood stock that is prone to changing due to environmental conditions.

Can someone point me to a Do-it-Yourself Bedding thread?

I have a Norinco .22lr that i've floated the barrel on, and want to have a go at bedding it myself, which will hopefuly Cut my 200y groups down a bit from around 85mm
frown.gif

Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.