Cost of Barrel Nitriding??

azsugarbear

I did a lot of research on this process a few years ago and decided I would try it on my next build. Well, the time has now come - but I have some sticker shock! A few years ago, the cost was about $75-$85 + s/h per barrel. Now it seems the price has jumped to $200 plus s&h for each barrel.

I've checked with both Trutec and H&M. Apparently, Trutec now requires you to send you barrel/action into a middleman (Wild West Guns in NV) who then sends in a batch of barrels to Trutec. The cost is $200 plush shipping. H&M will still accept direct barrel shipments, but also charges $200 plus shipping. That's more than halfway to a new custom barrel! Still waiting to hear back from Burlington Engineering.

What happened to this new application of an older technology?? From a cost of $85 to $200 in the space of a couple years?

I'm looking for input only from those who have recently nitride their barrels. Who did you use? How much did it cost? Did you like the outcome?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not sure your numbers are correct. I recently checked with Tru-Tech, was told minimum was $350 batch charge. H&M has $250 batch charge. For both , the profit margin wasn't 'there' for doing one or two barrels. It's either 'worth' doing the work, or, it isn't.

Go to BR central, look at the members list and look for Joel Kendrick. He is the man to talk to. He did two of mine and both were under a $100 and accepted direct shipments.

-TruTec, email joelkndrck [at] aol.com, or call Joel at (704) 616-6442.

shortgrass,

Spoke with Trutec yesterday and H & M this morning. Trutec may have a minimum batch charge of $350, but no longer accepts shipments of single barrels/actions. All "one-off" work must go through Wild West guns at a cost of $200.

H & M still accepts direct shipments, but their minimum batch price is still $200.

BountyHunter,

When I spoke w/Trutec, they said they stopped accepting direct shipments about 6 months ago. They did indicate that someone in their company had been accepting "small jobs", but that practice was stopped due to inherent "conflicts of interest". I assumed they were talking about Joel, but will follow up with him anyway to see if he has any more ideas.

Thanks both for your input. Anybody have any experience with Burlington?

Rodney is a Tru-Tec employee who was doing small jobs using Tru-Techs' equipment. 'Corporate' decided this was a 'conflict of interest'. Joel is who I spoke with at Tru-Tec, a few weeks ago. He's the plant manager. I send to H&M when I have enough in a 'batch' to make it worth my while. I'm getting close to having enough to send, now. I've been having barrels treated for over two years by both companies and I am satified with both. I use H&M now, because turn around time is better.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.