Copper Bullet Blues

Lazerus

Had a 6.5 284 Norma built. It shoots three 140 grain Berger bullets inside a 1/4 inch all day long. California has gone to copper only bullets and the only bullet I have found with even a somewhat ok BC is Cutting Edge Bullets. They actually sent me 24 of them for free! These were 130 grains, with a BC of 550. They recommended 25,000th's of the lans. The best I have been able to do is and 1 1/4". If anyone knows of any high BC copper bullets out there, please let me know. I am going to try 50,000th's of the lans, but I am not going to hold my breath. Any help would be appreciated!

I'd forget about what they recommend and essentially disregard the BC the bullet manufacturer claims (in my experience, most of their marketing data on BC doesn't hold up under strict analysis in my testing) and work on a formula that works in my rifle. BC is one factor but there are too many others to consider. Instead of chasing around for other bullets I'd spend some time with developing the best load I could with the bullet that has the performance on target that I wanted and see how well I could make it perform over all. gun)

That wouldn't be too much fun! Have you tried the Barnes LRX 127gr ? Or the GS HV?
I think some of the 6.5 Sherman and SS shooters are shooting that bullet. You might ask them. I would like to find out about the drive band. The length of the bullet isn't too long for my Creed to stabilize but I don't want a single shot rifle. I need to talk to them.

I've loaded a bunch of the 140 CE's and I'd suggest seating them with the seal tight band just at the mouth of case but not into the case and work out from there, accuracy has been excellent but you have to hit the sweet spot.

I know you have a very listed supply of these but have you tried a different powder , charge weight?
With my Creed likes certain powders with certain bullets. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.
You may have to do a whole hog research project. Or hunt someplace else. ?????

Sounds like a good opportunity to move out of Cali..... :D

I visited that state once for a week doing construction work....I have zero desire to ever go back. Then again, I was in NoCal where all the freaks, hippies, and homos were.

I visited (California) - I have zero desire to ever go back. Then again, I was in NoCal where all the freaks, hippies, and homos were.

Ouch .... that hurts. I'm from and am still captive to No.Cal. but I'm neither of those you describe. There is a possibility that I might be viewed as a "freak" because I own guns which is a practice frowned upon by many but not all in this state :rolleyes: but that would be a local rather than a universal label.

Thanks for all the posts. BTW, Cutting Edge bullets sent me two half boxes of bullets for free!I printed up some second amendments T's and sent them to them. I have tried them at 25 off the lans, with H4831SC and 15 off the lans, (both groups were identical). I have now loaded some that are 50 thou off. I also loaded some up with re-loader 22 which has given me consistently accurate results with Berger bullets. My next powder choice will be Hogden Hybrid 100V. The ones they sent me for my 300 Win Mag in 180 grains produced awesome groups just slightly over bullet diameter, right off. Who is GS? I have never heard of that bullet. Any other recommendations would very helpful, and yes, there is part of me that would love to leave Northern California, but here is great salmon and steel head fishing and the hunting is still pretty good.

I visited that state once for a week doing construction work....I have zero desire to ever go back. Then again, I was in NoCal where all the freaks, hippies, and homos were.
Ahh yes, the imports. Y'all sent us your bad apples.:rolleyes:

I don't know any native Californians who are happy with the duffuzes that move here from Alabama but there is no chance I'm leaving.

back to the subject at hand.

Sometimes load development for monolithic bullets can be very frustrating.
In my experience, twist rate to bullet aspect ratio is very important.

If you are running an 8twist, you should be good but go fast. If you are not an 8twist back down to 120s.

Ahh yes, the imports. Y'all sent us your bad apples.:rolleyes:

I don't know any native Californians who are happy with the duffuzes that move here from Alabama but there is no chance I'm leaving.

back to the subject at hand.

Sometimes load development for monolithic bullets can be very frustrating.
In my experience, twist rate to bullet aspect ratio is very important.

If you are running an 8twist, you should be good but go fast. If you are not an 8twist back down to 120s.
Yep, cause we don't want their kind around here, either. They feel more "at home" in a place that is more "accepting" of their lifestyle...Which I am GLAD is far far away from my state. :D

Yeah, thanks for not taking responsibility for your fruits and nuts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts