Cooper M22 .243ai misfires?

Pstores

I was shooting some factory Federal Ballistic tips through this rifle and was getting misfires. The primers looked hit but not a sharp hit more of a crator type hit. Cooper say regular .243 can be shot. I took apart the bolt and cleaned it. Lubed with G96. Wasn't very dirty. Hoping this fixes it. Just wondering if others have had a similar or heard of this issue?

Did you lighten the trigger? Coopers are notorious for the firing pin not having enough force is the trigger is lightened lower than 1.5lbs.

Trigger is at 2.5 pounds. They sent me a new spring. We will see if that helps. These were Federal Primers. So not sure if it will make much difference. We will see. It shoots very well.

Check the cartridges to make sure the primers are not recessed to far in the base. My buddy bought a box of Federall ammo this season and had misfires due to this issue with his Weatherby.

Well a std 243 has little to headspace off in an AI chamber to begin, so this reduces reliability.
It's cold out, reducing reliability.
The factory ammo primers or pockets could be out of tolerance reducing reliability.
And there could be a striking issue, especially if the trigger was adjusted.

I would not bother the maker until figuring out the issue.

If the chamber is head spaced correctly there should be resistance felt when closing the bolt on a .243 Win. cartridge. It (the cartridge) should be 'trapped' between the bolt face and neck/shoulder junction. It should be obvious as you close the bolt. When a rifle (or any firearm, for that matter) is new and will not function as it should it is time to send it back to the manufacture.

It's a 20deg shoulder that varies in location from box to box, brand to brand, in a fixed chamber.
And it ain't a donor Remington ****ed together by some 'smith'.
It's a Cooper. They've tested it.

Try another brand of factory ammo, or use good reloading brass to begin.

Cooper I am sure will have no problem fixing it. The primers on the ones seem to be set alittle deeper. Also they did send me very promptly a new spring. They wanted me to send in the bolt. But it is winter and coyote season. They sent me the spring. I'll try that. I did buy another box of ammo. Twenty rounds no misfires.... So maybe it was the Federal Ammo as suggested. So far Coopers CS has been great.

Given the ammo was a bad lot of Federal which is not unheard of with the recessed primer problem. I would probably hold off on messing with your spring. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.