243ai

Tumbling? Really? I live in Eastern Colorado, it's flat like Kansas. And I have seen big game bullets skipping across the prairie several hundred yards beyond their intended target.

Don't forget you own every shot fired from your rifle. Do you really want to take that chance just to save a few pennies in bullets? How about using varmint bullets on pd's ?
Be safe.

End of rant

Excellent point. I truly understand. But if the difference between a safe, and an unsafe shot is 200yds........then neither is safe. I'm just saying make sure nothing is behind the target and shoot whatever bullet is most accurate. I've been to S.D. Prairie dog hunting and you can be 100%positive there's nothing for a long, looooong, distance. It can be done, big game hunters do it all the time

Now, here in MI ( and most places in the mi west)I believe the varmint bullet is a better choice. Just because there's so many variables: fence rows, smaller fields, larger woods, quad and walking paths, and houses tucked away in smaller wood lots. Granted we dont have P.D. , but we do have woodchucks and they are usually along ditches and fence rows, where a varmint bullet would be the safest.

4bycamper is absolutely right though....you do "own every shot." So if there's any doubt, absolutely go with the ballistic/varmint type bullet.
_________
Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.