.243ai

IMO, barrel length for 243AI would 26". As far as twist rate 1:7 would be my choice. Shoot the 6mm heavies to 115 Gr.

Case trimming (or lack of need to) is a big plus to go AI. When going to AI you end up with about 8% more case capacity (4 grains +/-) and about 4% more velocity (100-150 fps). There is a trade off in barrel life, but I think the benefits outweigh the short barrel life. Run it to its capabilities and you can expect 1500 rounds out of a barrel.

I have not long done several barrels for a Savage striker. Finished at 15 inches plus a brake. Man those thing barked but laser accurate.

I just put my first suppressor in jail and am looking at my rifles. I have a .243 win I built on a savage model 10 action. It's unthreaded. It was a factory take off barrel so rather than spending money to have it threaded I'm just gonna order a new shilen but I'm thinking in .243ai. I like ai cartridges for reducing case stretch and trimming.

Anyways what's a minimum barrel length you all would go with? I'm thinking 22-24" This ones not really a hunting rifle. More of a heavy target rifle and maybe something that gets used for coyotes once in awhile and something the kids shoot.

Thoughts?
If you need some 243AI brass, I have some I would part with. It's all Lapua. I have had excellent results with that cartridge. I'm going to build a 6BRA on that action.

If you need some 243AI brass, I have some I would part with. It's all Lapua. I have had excellent results with that cartridge. I'm going to build a 6BRA on that action.
Appreciate the offer. But I just placed an order for a standard.243 heavy Palma 7 twist 26" shilen barrel. In the end I was all set up for .243 already so it was easier to just order a regular old .243 win

I'm doing the same thing. 243AI, 26"/as long as I can get heavy varmint taper, fastest twist, weighted stock. The 115 DTACs will hopefully come back in stock some day.

I run an 11" suppressor on 26" barrels, doesn't bug me at all. They screw on and off for a reason 😁
Forgot the dtac, yes please.