Comparison on 1000 + rangefinders

tscott

What is your experience with some of the following rangefinders: Nikon 1200, Leupold, Leica 1200 LRF and CRF. Thanks for your help.

I beat my friends Leica 800, 1200, and Leica duovid 1200 with my Newcon 2000Pro.
Ranged further in ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS.
Leica DONT RANGE in raining days, or snowing days, and if you get strong sun, the ability to range with leica will go down drastically.
I did a review not long time ago, but if you do a research in this forum you will find it.
The negativ part with Newcon 2000Pro is the aiming square is a litlle to big, and with my device I have to aim with the bottom line of the square to get proper reading. AND WORKS ALL THE TIME.

cHRIS

I had a Nikon 600, which worked fair for about 18-24 months. Now it is limited to under 100 yds. I wouldn't buy Nikon again. I just bought the Leica CRF 1200 and it is very nice. I didn't want to go into another price range, this one was about $600, just before the price increase. So far no complaints, it does a nice job but I haven't tried it in the rain or snow yet.

I purchased the Leica CRF 1200 and sent it back. For me, it did not range as advertised! My buddy also sent his back. We both purchased the sawrovski 8x30 and are very pleased with the performance. I highly recommend it.

Rangefinders

Do any of you guys know the difference in the Leica LRF and the CRF ?
Thanks

Here is a link for the LRF 1200. The CRF is on plenty of websites so you will be able to compare the two. My friend has the LRF and I have the CRF. I would say they are on par with each other for performance. The CRF is definately smaller and more compact, which to me is a big plus, but being so, it is a little harder to steady for longer ranges. The LRF can be held similiar to a binocular and held a little steadier. As another member mentioned, the Swaro is a better rangefinder, it just comes down to your use and budget. If you are in this price range, believe me you can not go wrong with the Leica.

Leica LRF800 and LRF1200 Rangefinders

rangefinders

Thanks so much for all the input. At this point I'm going to go for the Leica. Swaro is just to much money to justify right now.
Thanks again.

Maybe I'm lucky, but my LRF1200 ranges woodchucks(not talkin stone walls or nearby barns, but actual woodchucks in fields) at 900+ on bright sunny days.
This works out good for me because I 'hunt' woodchucks, and cannot be sure of cold barrel -single shot kills -off Harris bipods -beyond 700yds anyway. So I stalk within this.
I like the compact size, and if they would just make it binocular(without changing the size) it would be truly incredible.

We should kinda get together and bombard Leica with requests for this.
It would be compact, useful, very light, and of high quality.
If they increased price to no more than ~$600, I would buy em.

I will agree that the Leupold is a piece of junk. I had the RX-IV and returned it. I bought the Leica 1200 CRF and have been happy with it. It returns the range almost immediatly. It is a bright sunny day here and I have been getting readings out to 1190 all morning. My Leica will not range past 1199 in any condition.
If I were to do it over again I would spend a little more and get the swaro just to have a little more range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.