SCOPE COMPARISON

I'm looking to purchase a new scope for a long range rifle. It will be shot at target out to 1400 yards, and possibly 1 mile. Then will serve as my hunting rifle at times. I currently own 3 Vortex Viper PST Gen 2's. I only have one complaint of them. At 25x zoom they seem to lose some clarity. So that being said, I'm down to 3 options that I seem to like.
Viper PST GEN 2
LEUPOLD VX5HD or VX6HD
Nightforce NXS

I'd like to hear some input on these options
Don't rule out the Vortex Razor HD. My opinion - as good as any of the top end glass.

I have officially decided on the NF NXS 5.5-22x50. Lots of elevation adjustment, so that no matter what rifle it may end up on in the future, I have plenty of adjustment. Also, I like the 20moa MOAR reticle. Also, seems like all reviews and advice points toward really good glass, clarity, and solid tracking. I know this may end up above my budget, but hopefully will be worth it. If you have one laying around, hit me up. 👍

I have officially decided on the NF NXS 5.5-22x50. Lots of elevation adjustment, so that no matter what rifle it may end up on in the future, I have plenty of adjustment. Also, I like the 20moa MOAR reticle. Also, seems like all reviews and advice points toward really good glass, clarity, and solid tracking. I know this may end up above my budget, but hopefully will be worth it. If you have one laying around, hit me up. 👍
I'll bet you'll be happy with it.
You might consider the TMOAR if it's available on that scope. Depends on your needs. I find the sub tensions to be really precise on small targets at long distance if that's important.
Again, good choice.

I'm looking to purchase a new scope for a long range rifle. It will be shot at target out to 1400 yards, and possibly 1 mile. Then will serve as my hunting rifle at times. I currently own 3 Vortex Viper PST Gen 2's. I only have one complaint of them. At 25x zoom they seem to lose some clarity. So that being said, I'm down to 3 options that I seem to like.
Viper PST GEN 2
LEUPOLD VX5HD or VX6HD
Nightforce NXS

I'd like to hear some input on these options
Have 4 NXS, sharp throughout zoom on all. Great long range product

I'll bet you'll be happy with it.
You might consider the TMOAR if it's available on that scope. Depends on your needs. I find the sub tensions to be really precise on small targets at long distance if that's important.
Again, good choice.
Is there a difference in the MOAR and the T other than the center illumination vs whole reticle illuminated?

Although I know those are great choices, I'm trying to stay below $1500 if possible
Of the choices you mentioned the Leupold Mark 5 would be my choice. If $1500 is your budget I would take a serious look at the Athlon Cronus Gen 2. Cameraland has them for $1600 right now with a set of Warner rings.😁

I would recommend you take a look at the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50. My grandson got the Gen 1 version and it is a very nice scope for the money and below the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 price point. I have the Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 and comparing it to my Grandson Athlon, the Athlon was just as clear and bright if not a little better on the max power setting. I plan to purchase the Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 MOA version when they finally hit the shelves. Just something to consider if you want to save around 600.00 on your 1500.00 budget.

Just purchased a vortex gen2 for the money I would put it up against more expensive scopes I own you must of liked something about them if you have that many keep them all the same and no guess work on what makes them work. David
IMO they are fine target scopes but terrible hunting scopes. The tight eyebox makes them slow. They totally wash out looking anywhere near the sun, and their low light performance is poor. They track well and are great in good light.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.