Comparison on 1000 + rangefinders

i've been playing with a newcon2000 for a couple weeks now and with reflective targets it's pretty impressive. today i ranged a big road sign, three times, at 2261 and that was while it was raining. have also ranged them over 2k in bright sunshine. now if i could only get the deer to carry a big road sign around on their back and keep it perpendicular at all times i'd be in great shape!

Swaro, had a reading on a barn last year at 1,999yds. Furthest it'd range. I kept ranging this barn and backing up in the truck to see how far I could get a reading.

The furthest I can get with the swaro is 1999 also and that was on a tree. Awesome unit! I had 2 rx4's because I had to return one and then the second one was like looking through a coke bottle.

How far will the Newcon consitently range non reflective targets?

I ranged consistent deers at 1400-1500 yards all the time.
Trees (dark color pines) 1700yards
Post poles (from steaty rest) 1200 yards
The trick with newcon to get this further is Set reading on CODE 8 (best reflective area) and HOLDING THE RANGE BUTTON AND MOVE SLOWLY THE IMAGE LEFT-RIGHT TO GET THE BEST REFLECTIVE AREA AROUND YOUR TARGET.

Chris

There is a real difference between ranging anything in view, and ranging ONLY your target. With this I suspect many rangers are more quantity than quality.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.