SCOPE COMPARISON

sextonds

I'm looking to purchase a new scope for a long range rifle. It will be shot at target out to 1400 yards, and possibly 1 mile. Then will serve as my hunting rifle at times. I currently own 3 Vortex Viper PST Gen 2's. I only have one complaint of them. At 25x zoom they seem to lose some clarity. So that being said, I'm down to 3 options that I seem to like.
Viper PST GEN 2
LEUPOLD VX5HD or VX6HD
Nightforce NXS

I'd like to hear some input on these options

I'm looking to purchase a new scope for a long range rifle. It will be shot at target out to 1400 yards, and possibly 1 mile. Then will serve as my hunting rifle at times. I currently own 3 Vortex Viper PST Gen 2's. I only have one complaint of them. At 25x zoom they seem to lose some clarity. So that being said, I'm down to 3 options that I seem to like.
Viper PST GEN 2
LEUPOLD VX5HD or VX6HD
Nightforce NXS

I'd like to hear some input on these options
Just purchased a vortex gen2 for the money I would put it up against more expensive scopes I own you must of liked something about them if you have that many keep them all the same and no guess work on what makes them work. David

Take a look at the Athlon scopes. I just purchased the cronus gen 2 and the midas tac 5x25 x56 34mm . I am very impressed with them. I own Leupolds also vx-5 and vx-6 . I compared them all side by side yesterday at 100yds as the light was fading. I used the bottom of a beer box (redneck style)downrange , which has very small lettering and a barcode. As far as clarity and brightness, I could not tell a difference between any of them. I'm really liking the floating dot reticle they have for fine precise aiming.
IMOP ,For the price ,you can't beat them.

Just purchased a vortex gen2 for the money I would put it up against more expensive scopes I own you must of liked something about them if you have that many keep them all the same and no guess work on what makes them work. David
I have 2 that are 3-15x's and 1 5-25x. The only thing I dislike is in the 25x zoom, it isn't real clear at full zoom. The 3-15x's, I have no complaints, other than weight, but that's not a deal breaker for me

Take a look at the Athlon scopes. I just purchased the cronus gen 2 and the midas tac 5x25 x56 34mm . I am very impressed with them. I own Leupolds also vx-5 and vx-6 . I compared them all side by side yesterday at 100yds as the light was fading. I used the bottom of a beer box (redneck style)downrange , which has very small lettering and a barcode. As far as clarity and brightness, I could not tell a difference between any of them. I'm really liking the floating dot reticle they have for fine precise aiming.
IMOP ,For the price ,you can't beat them.
How was the performance at long range, full zoom? That's where I see the difference the most

If you get a chance, look at Sightron SIII's....at around $1000-$1500 depending on reticle, lighted,etc.With a mag range of 10-50, and great glass, it's a good option . Tract, a company that sells only to the end user (customer) has awesome glass (Schott) and a new 34mm 4.5-30. If you are a veteran, they give a good discount that should put it into your price range. Just another option....I have 3 Sightron's and 2 Tract, and both are great optics...rsbhunter

Look at high powered S&B or March. If you can find a used one. Especially at that distance mirage is going to take effect. So target clarity with be affected. Get something that can see through it better. And sorry to say this...but you will have to spend time behind optics. What looks good for my eyes at that distance might not look good for you. Try to get out to a long distance match and ask if you can look down various glass

How was the performance at long range, full zoom? That's where I see the difference the most
I hope to get out this next weekend and shoot @1000YDS. I will compare them all again and give you my opinion. Hoping for some good weather conditions. I'm in nw oregon, so who knows.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.