Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

I am/was looking at the 215's and when i went to Bergers website the length has changed (allot) the original poster mesured his bullets at 1.62 the website now says 1.56. anyone try the new bullets against the old is the BC the same... with the much shorter bullet how can they have the same BC?

Thanks
Trevor

Anybody else ever hear anything about a difference in OAL from lot to lot?

I just got a new lot in and I opened a box to measure. This lot is averaging about 1.610"

So a little different than my first lot but not enough to cause any worries. I feel the .010" difference could easily be in the hollow point tips. These look more uniform than usual but that could be just me too.

Part number change I will assume is because they went from 50 ct boxes to 100 ct.

Jeff

Hey Broz

thanks for checking and i am glad you got some more of the same number you completed all your testing with.

Could you do one last favour is the product line 30243 or the new product number
30249 which is posted on Bergers website.

Thanks
Trevor

Hey Broz

thanks for checking and i am glad you got some more of the same number you completed all your testing with.

Could you do one last favour is the product line 30243 or the new product number

Thanks
Trevor

According to the boxes I have, the product number is 30429

Also, although I think Broz posted a pic of the bullets, here's another:

(L to R): 215hybrid, 208Amax, 210VLD

Attachments

• DSCN0337.jpg
    DSCN0337.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN0338.jpg
    DSCN0338.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 211
Hey Broz

Thanks
Trevor

Yes Sir, as trebark stated here are my numbers.

First 50 ct boxes I did the testing with:
part Number 30423 and the lots were 4120 and 4723

Newest 100 ct boxes I just received and measured:
part number 30429 lot 5289

All the same bullet as far as I am concerned with a different part number for the increase in the count.

Jeff

Looks like I'm going to be at 94g Retumbo, -.015 off the lands, 2965 MV w/low ES in an unbraked 300RUM with 26" tube (~1400 rnd count.) with the 215. See what accuracy I can ring out of this thing... Still an average of sub 1" to 1.5" at 205 yd range prone. My 210g Berger load was 94.7g Retumbo at 2995MV and very consistent accuracy.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm going to be at 94g Retumbo, -.015 off the lands, 2965 MV w/low ES in an unbraked 300RUM with 26" tube (~1400 rnd count.) with the 215. See what accuracy I can ring out of this thing... Still an average of sub 1" to 1.5" at 205 yd range prone. My 210g Berger load was 94.7g Retumbo at 2995MV and very consistent accuracy.

You're doing good with 1400 rounds through it. My RUM reached about the 1300 round count and just went south like you flipped a switch! The Rum and 215's are a match made in heaven, the 230's can really shine out of it too.

You're doing good with 1400 rounds through it. My RUM reached about the 1300 round count and just went south like you flipped a switch! The Rum and 215's are a match made in heaven, the 230's can really shine out of it too.

Yes, I'm watching it closely and wondering how much time it has left...

Anyone have G1 stepped BCs for the 215 Hybrid?

I still use Exbal to print out a cheat sheet if the phone goes down while out hunting and like using stepped bc.

Anyone have G1 stepped BCs for the 215 Hybrid? QUOTE]

I have found stepped BC's to be more attributed to the particular rifle than the bullet. I feel twist rate, number of lands and depth of the jacket scribing from the lands could be the reason.

That said, I have used the advertised G7 BC for the 215's out to well past 1500 with great results from my 300 win.

Jeff

Anyone have G1 stepped BCs for the 215 Hybrid? QUOTE]

I have found stepped BC's to be more attributed to the particular rifle than the bullet. I feel twist rate, number of lands and depth of the jacket scribing from the lands could be the reason.

That said, I have used the advertised G7 BC for the 215's out to well past 1500 with great results from my 300 win.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It's just that the old Exbal doesn't use G7s but I really like the way it lets me customize a backup (to Shooter) paper dropchart.

Is the 215 in Litz's latest edition with stepped G1s anyone?

We have found that these results are comparable with Sierra MKs. Very large exit wounds on Antelope, much like what Jeff has experienced. I've seen much the same result with a 300 RUM and the 220gr MKs and a .308 Win with 168gr MKs. One difference though is that the .308 passed right through and both of the hits I saw resulted in a fleeing animal that covered a considerable distance before expiring. I believe Sierra discourages MK use on game, sighting unpredictable behavior.

Hicks