Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Has anyone tried pointing the 215 Hybrid? I know many others are pointing some of the lighter offerings (i.e. 6.5 130's & 140's) with excellent results. Some generalized estimates indicate a BC improvement of ~6% for 30 cal, which would put the 215 at .737 (G1) or so, give or take. That would sure be a nice little boost to an already great bullet. Any thoughts or experience?

Has anyone tried pointing the 215 Hybrid? I know many others are pointing some of the lighter offerings (i.e. 6.5 130's & 140's) with excellent results. Some generalized estimates indicate a BC improvement of ~6% for 30 cal, which would put the 215 at .737 (G1) or so, give or take. That would sure be a nice little boost to an already great bullet. Any thoughts or experience?

Did you mean tipping, or were you referring to meplat trimming and hollow pointing?
If you mean adding a ballistic tip, it would completely change the performance as well as the balance, which could mess up the accuracy?
The 215 has very deep hollow point (approx. .4") Adding a tip would mean removing all that and then punching, drilling, etc. a cavity to insert the tip. It would increas b.c. by about .010"-.015" and would open at lower velocities. It would also make it far more exposive at high velocity (not necessarily good) and as previously mentioned, would move the center of gravity more forward which could likely affect stability. If you were considering doing this to say an SMK, I would think it would be a positive! In the case of the 215 Hybrid, I would say leave it alone, as it is a pretty good bullet as is. If you want a little more expansion, anneal the tip........Rich

Did you mean tipping, or were you referring to meplat trimming and hollow pointing?
If you mean adding a ballistic tip, it would completely change the performance as well as the balance, which could mess up the accuracy?
The 215 has very deep hollow point (approx. .4") Adding a tip would mean removing all that and then punching, drilling, etc. a cavity to insert the tip. It would increas b.c. by about .010"-.015" and would open at lower velocities. It would also make it far more exposive at high velocity (not necessarily good) and as previously mentioned, would move the center of gravity more forward which could likely affect stability. If you were considering doing this to say an SMK, I would think it would be a positive! In the case of the 215 Hybrid, I would say leave it alone, as it is a pretty good bullet as is. If you want a little more expansion, anneal the tip........Rich

He does not mean tipping. He means pointing....here's a good article describing the process and potential results:

Whidden Bullet Pointing Die System

In my opinion the 215 is darn good as is and does not need more expansion. I worry a little about even using it in a RUM and think the 230 is a much better choice for the RUM and larger cases. We have ran this bullet at both ends of the spectrum now and the results have all been positive to this point.

I would keep the 215 at a MV close to 3000 or less and enjoy the beauty of it as is. I think there is something to be learned about the .400 deep hollow point and what ever it is seems to be what we want.

If one was to trim and drill the tip I would not open the hole in it any at all.

JMO

Jeff

Trebark is on it. The Whidden Pointing System is what I am referring too. It closes the meplat which allows for a more consistent front and a gain in BC (varies depending on caliber, bullet and how much you close the meplat). Others experience has shown that this process has not had a noticeable effect on the Berger HVLD's performance on game (130 & 140 gr 6.5's).

I know folks have appeared to be very pleased with the 215's performance, but I am wondering if a slight closure of the tip would alter the performance, or even allow slightly more penetration?

It is just a thought I have been contemplating recently. I know it seems to be working for some, but the pointing seems to be an easy process that might deliver some promising extra performance........

Trebark is on it. The Whidden Pointing System is what I am referring too. It closes the meplat which allows for a more consistent front and a gain in BC (varies depending on caliber, bullet and how much you close the meplat). Others experience has shown that this process has not had a noticeable effect on the Berger HVLD's performance on game (130 & 140 gr 6.5's).

I know folks have appeared to be very pleased with the 215's performance, but I am wondering if a slight closure of the tip would alter the performance, or even allow slightly more penetration?

It is just a thought I have been contemplating recently. I know it seems to be working for some, but the pointing seems to be an easy process that might deliver some promising extra performance........

I'm not sure that you need more penetration, especially when it comes to long range? I would be more concerned about losing expansion at distance, but that is just my opinion since I haven't tested any like that. Generally speaking, a smaller meplat means more difficulty expanding, all else equal. Annealing the tip would probably make up some of that loss though.......Rich

Yesterday at 969 yards I sent 3 in a wind that was varying from 7 to 11 full value. I did my best to shoot as the wind was at the same point where I dialed for about 9 mph. I get to the target to find a group with two practically touching and the third taking group out to 4". The farthest from point of aim was about 5". 3 very dead elk or even antelope for that matter in a challenging wind.

I do check my tips on all hunting rounds to be open. I now use a tiny pin vice with a very small bit to insure I am not opening the holes from the average size. I guess there is always room for improvement and as long as there was not compromise it could be advantageous. But my success has been good enough, my motivation level to add more chores to my busy loading agenda, is a little low.:)

Jeff

Jeff-tough to beat that for sure. I got real excited when I calculated the theoretical improvement and saw an estimated G1 BC of .731 (based on 5% increase). After comparing the numbers between the standard 215 and pointed 215, the improvement does not yield as much difference as I originally thought it might. While it was an improvement, I am not sure it justifies the extra step in the process, as you pointed out.

I do hope some others out there experiment with this, and I sure hope to as well.

Good Shooting!

Jeff-tough to beat that for sure. I got real excited when I calculated the theoretical improvement and saw an estimated G1 BC of .731 (based on 5% increase). After comparing the numbers between the standard 215 and pointed 215, the improvement does not yield as much difference as I originally thought it might. While it was an improvement, I am not sure it justifies the extra step in the process, as you pointed out.

I do hope some others out there experiment with this, and I sure hope to as well.

Good Shooting!

A buddy of mine shoots a 7saum with pointed 180grain Hybrids. He calculated (based on drop analysis) the BC increase at 4%. Not a huge improvement but when the shots get long, every bit helps.

For a hunting application though, pointed bullets will not expand as well (if at all) as those unpointed.

Many people are pointing the 6.5 130 & 140 bullets for hunting and are killing things with ease. It has not seemed to effect those bullets performance at all. Not saying that will be the case with every bullet, every time; but it appears to be working fine for others. That is why I was thinking about it and asked the question.

I've very much enjoyed reading "most" of this post, started at page 12 and finished at page 40 this morning="Whew"!!! I may need to rework my M70 300 WM, adding a tapered base, NF scope, & Brake. Currently wears a 10twist pac-nor barrel. A custom build would be nice...not in the cards right now. I do have some 210 Bergers, wish I would have gotten the 215's. Oh well... Unfortunately where I life is...to a degree, hunter rich and game poor.

Jeff a sincere thanks for posting your results, pictures, etc. I look forward to seeing additional results this year.