Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Hicks, I have no experience with the 168 Match King, but if you will cut open the nose of a 220 MK and a 215 Hybrid I think you will see a huge difference in the void in the tip. This was one of the things that encouraged me to try this bullet for it's long range performance. They still open well even on soft little goats at close to 1300 yards.

Jeff

Hicks, I have no experience with the 168 Match King, but if you will cut open the nose of a 220 MK and a 215 Hybrid I think you will see a huge difference in the void in the tip. This was one of the things that encouraged me to try this bullet for it's long range performance. They still open well even on soft little goats at close to 1300 yards.

Jeff

Hi Broz,

I have no doubt about the void and I'll try that. I don't have that rifle anymore (belonged to my ex) but I do have an '06 that I may try to switch to Bergers in. I had a bad experience with the 7mm 180gr Berger VLD so I sort of gave up on them. But reading this thread makes me want to try some .30 cals from them. And if only they made about a 240gr 8mm VLD form my 8 Mag!

Jon

Hicks, years ago I was hunting Aoudad/Barbery sheep, shooting a 300 Win with 190 SMK, a Federal Match load. I shot the Sheep at 315 yards and thought I missed 3 separate times, as the sheep did not even move. I ended up putting a 180 Nosler Accu bond in the rifle and it anchored the animal instantly. When I walked up to the sheep, I could see three pencil size entrance and exit holes on the sheep. The group was no bigger then a baseball around the heart. I then observed the big entrance and exit hole of the AB slight back of the other 3. This was not the last time that happened, the next year, I basically repeated the same thing. Needless to say, I don't use SMK's any more in 30 cal. Having said that, 338 SMK's seem to perform much better! Berger VLD's, just as well, or ever better!

Just my opinion on the experiences I have had with them.

It is not only the difference in the hollow point that makes the SMK's poor performers on game. The spitzer (tangent) ogive does not have as good an angle of impact which I believe hinders the bullet from opening. Sort of pressure in instead of out!.......Rich

I've been looking for the 215's forever and haven't found any.

Any word on when they will be available again???

gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

Here are some pics from a 100 lb wild hog I shot at 70 yards with 215 Hybrid. I have shot a lot of hogs, but not with a Berger. I hope to get some long range hogs in the future. It was very impresive.

Jay

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 338
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 327
Jeff,

Have you or anyone else contacted the large shoulder bone of an elk yet with the 215? Looks like everyone is doing a good job of keeping it behind the shoulder, but I am real curious to see what happens when this bullets contacts some large bone.....

Thank you everyone for posting your results!

Went clear through the far shoulder bone on a bull at 200 yards. But we don't shoulder shoot so I have no info on near shoulder. But it looks like that hog got both shoulders broken.

Jeff

I was a little high and a little foward of where I wanted to hit. I diddn't have much time. She dropped like a ton of bricks fell on her. I hope to shoot some more in the near future.

Jay

Here are some pics from a 100 lb wild hog I shot at 70 yards with 215 Hybrid. I have shot a lot of hogs, but not with a Berger. I hope to get some long range hogs in the future. It was very impresive.

Jay

Nice work Jay! You will have to try some 160 Matrix on one with the 6.5 Sherman and let me know how it works? I don't have any hogs around here to practice on:D........rich

Recent Posts