210 Berger VLD

trueblue

For you guys that are hunting with 30cal 210 gr VLD Bergers, are you using their part #308210T or #308210V ? One has a slightly higher BC than the other, and am not sure why.

One is the VLD, the other is their Boat Tail design. Different bullets, different designs.

I'm shooting the 210 VLD from my .300 WSM, (308210V). It's shooting very well!

Yes they are both boat tail bullets - and Berger has no photo of the BT 210 on their web site, but they do offer a description of the two. Here are some quotes I copied from Berger's web site:

"Our BT bullets are made with a more conventional shape that most shooters are familiar with loading. The BT bullets are easy to make shoot accurately at any seating depth. Since the BT bullets have a conventional shape nose they will shoot accurately when loaded to feed through a magazine. Our BT bullets can be shot from short to long range making them the most flexible option for the reloader. The heavier BT bullets have been used successfully for hunting small to medium sized game. They do not have the high BC of the VLD but they more than make up for it by being so easy to make shoot accurately in any rifle."

"Designed by Bill Davis, the VLD bullet is on the cutting edge of using bullet design for improved external ballistics. The VLD bullet is designed to provide less drop and drift than any bullet on the market today. This result makes the VLD an ideal choice for the medium to long-range target competition shooter. If you stand behind a shooter using a VLD bullet and watch the bullet's vapor trail you will see a flatter trajectory than with non-VLD bullets (assuming similar velocity). VLD bullets can shoot well at any OAL. If you do not achieve the accuracy level you are looking for by jumping a VLD bullet then you may find that your rifle will shoot VLDs more accurately if the bullet touches the rifling when the round is chambered. VLD bullets may need a little more tweaking than non VLDs but when they are working well they are tough to beat."

"The MATCH VLD bullets are proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullet available. (Watch Demo Clip) The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate up to 3 inches before it starts to expand. This delayed expansion results in a wound channel that is deep inside the vital area of any big game. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 80% to 90% of its weight into the surrounding tissue traveling as deep as 18 inches. This results in a massive wound cavity that creates the greatest possible amount of tissue damage and hemraging within the vital area (organs). This massive and extensive wound cavity result in the animal dropping fast. Our bullets don't poke through like an arrow but instead expend all of their energy right where it is most effective, inside the animal. Bullets that poke through so that they can cause a blood trail are designed to result in a hunter tracking a wounded animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot. You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger VLD will be on your next hunt."

I do also remember a discussion regarding the BC/VLD differences where it was explained that in .30 caliber, the BT bullets were able to match the ballistic coefficients offered by the VLD bullets. Although I've used Berger VLD's for target shooting in the past, this is the first year I've hunted with them. They work well on both coyotes and mule deer.

Regards, Guy

On the Berger site, as in the previous posted info it states that the VLD has a higher BC. Site bullet info and on the boxes of these I have purchased it shows the VLD at .631 and BT at .647. Not sure why the conflict.

Called Berger today, and was told the BT's are for paper punching/competition. The VLD's are for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.