Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

That is an impressive bullet but not as impressive as that shot! Congrats on an outstanding day of hunting!

Broz - nice shooting!! Especially considering it seems to blow like crazy most of the time in antelope country. Were you dealing with any wind on that 1200 yard shot? That would make it even more impressive.

Thanks for the continued updates.

Broz - nice shooting!! Especially considering it seems to blow like crazy most of the time in antelope country. Were you dealing with any wind on that 1200 yard shot? That would make it even more impressive.

Thanks for the continued updates.

Not much wind. It was morning and I was in the shade of the rising sun and the antelope was in direct sun. I used Coriolis Drift and SD and dialed a 3 mph 7:00 wind. But even a light 1/4 value light wind had a correction of almost 24" with SD and CD 1285 yards.

Jeff

Not much wind. It was morning and I was in the shade of the rising sun and the antelope was in direct sun. I used Coriolis Drift and SD and dialed a 3 mph 7:00 wind. But even a light 1/4 value light wind had a correction of almost 24" with SD and CD 1285 yards.

Jeff

Honestly, you are inspirational. You humbly say 'not much wind' then go on to state how 'not much' is really a 24" correction. To me that's MUCH wind! :D I appreciate you being so open with your efforts and sharing the info.

And it seems like Bryan's new app is working really well for you. Has it been a big improvement over Shooter or whatever you were using previously? (sorry to stray off topic)

And it seems like Bryan's new app is working really well for you. Has it been a big improvement over Shooter or whatever you were using previously? (sorry to stray off topic)

No, I am using bryans AB app but at this time have not gotten indepth enough with it to see the benifits of it over Shooter. I think they are both awesome apps.

Jeff

Well, I got a little more data from these bullets. In the beginning I was under the impression they would not expand well due to the thicker jackets. I no longer feel that way at all. In fact it seems to me they expand more. Today I stuck one in a Bull Elk at 636 yards. Behind the shoulder and catching a rib going in. The bull ws dispatched very quickly and took maybe two 2 steps. The entrance hole was like all the others (.308) but after passing through the hide, about an inch side meat, then getting the rib going in it was really expanded. Although it destroyed the lungs and heart it didnt exit. I spent some time looking through the mountain of damaged entrals but didn't recover the bullet. Might have run out with the 30 gallons of strawberry jello. I don't know?? But I did take pics of the entrance, outside and inside, and the lungs and heart. So, I guess at 636 yards, with an impact velocity of 2341 and 2616 ft lbs of energy the expansion is more than I desire in a perfect world. But no two shots are ever the same. The next could produce an exit. I will not degrade the bullet as it killed the elk like lightning. But I am beginning to think this bullet is better siuted for longer shots where it would expand less. We have all said it before, no bullet is perfect in all areas. Some are better up close. Some for longer distances. I am a long range hunter, so I feel this bullet will work for me. But, draw your own conclusions. Here are the pics.

Placement:

DSC04177Small.jpg

Entrance outside:

DSC04176Small.jpg

Entrance inside:

DSC04179Small.jpg

Lungs:

DSC04180Small.jpg

Heart:

DSC04181Small.jpg

Hero pic:

Resampled_2012-10-21_10-10-34_697Small.jpg

Nice shot and great bull, although that is a chip shot for you, probably shot him from the hip!:D

Your lucky you live in elk country, we got back from our elk hunt in wyoming with no luck, only saw about 18 head of elk the whole 4 1/2 days of hunting we were there. And i blew a 120 yard shot on a cow off hand but shot over the top of her because of a fallen log in the way.

That only leaves my dads whitetail deer and my late season cow elk hunt in colorado then we are done LR hunting for the year. :(

Sorry for getting off topic.

Nice bull man!!! They seem to dang sure open, how are you feeling about them in comparison to the 210 and the 230 now?

I have been thinking about this long and hard. The 230's have always exited even at 511 yards on a bull. But like I said no two shots are ever the same. It seems these 215 in my rifle are more accurate than the 210's and I like the added BC. But man the 210's have dumped lots of game for me over the years and most always exited. I really expected these 215's to exit at 636 yards on the bull yesterday. I guess we will see what happens with my Mule deer tag and go from there. One thing for sure, they will all kill and drop em DRT if you place them well.

Jeff

Broz

Very nice please disregard my question from your other thread, I now have my answer. I was wondering however, as I am all out of 185g VLDs and need to set about ordering some new bullets. Which in your opinion is the better option? Here is why I am asking, My win mag is built on a Howa with a rem mag box to get me some more room in there. In your experience with these Hybrid bullets are they seating depth sensitive like the VLD? I would rather try the Hybrid to avoid wasting money if they are not as I would like to use my mag box.

**** Jeff, once again you put the smack down on em!!! Well done Sir, well done!

I think to make it fair for the animals you should have to start shooting left handed. :D