Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Hello, new to the forum here...

I have read many of your posts Broz, but not all of them, so I apologize if you have already answered this question.

I have an older Sako 75 chambered in .300 Win Mag with a 1:11 barrel twist. From what I have found it appears that I am limited to a bullet that's 200gr or less.

I'm only interested in hunting with this rifle, mostly elk and mule deer. Any ideas what differences I should expect using the Berger Hybrid Target 200gr bullets rather than the phenomenal results you are getting with the 215 "Hybrid"

BTW is that a Hybrid Target or a Hybrid Hunting bullet ?

Thanks

I would encourage you to try the 215's. I dont know what altitude you will be shooting but we are at 4000' ASL and we have seen them shoot very well from a 308 winchester with a 1 in 12 twist.

They are labeled as target bullets. But my experience has been very positive using targets for long range hunting. All hunting for that matter. They have an ever so slightly thicker jacket but I need that up close. I have never had an issue with expansion from the target bullets. I just took a bear at 1702 yards with a one shot kill. This was with a Berger OTM, also listed as Target. I prefer to call them "Premium Killing Bullets" rather than target. :)

Jeff

Guys,
The correct G1 BC for the Berger 215 hybrid is .691. The G7 ( which is the one you should always use with boat tail bullets) is .354. Nothing changed in regards to the bullet design. The only thing that changed is the technology that has allowed us to get better, more accurate information on our bullets. So with any Berger bullets, if the G1 and G7 BCs has changed from your last box. Use the new data.
Take care,

I would encourage you to try the 215's. I dont know what altitude you will be shooting but we are at 4000' ASL and we have seen them shoot very well from a 308 winchester with a 1 in 12 twist.

They are labeled as target bullets. But my experience has been very positive using targets for long range hunting. All hunting for that matter. They have an ever so slightly thicker jacket but I need that up close. I have never had an issue with expansion from the target bullets. I just took a bear at 1702 yards with a one shot kill. This was with a Berger OTM, also listed as Target. I prefer to call them "Premium Killing Bullets" rather than target. :)

Jeff

Thank You for answering so quickly.

Fairly new to here, but ill throw my .02 in also. Running 92.2Gr of Retumbo in Remington cases with the 215 Hybrids out of a factory Sendero 300 RUM @2965 and have great luck with them. Only have got to shoot them out to 450yards but the first 3 shots were 1.51". Ready to test them on some deer this fall!

I have being trying some loads with the 215's in my 26" - 1 in 11" TR .300 Win.Mag. lately...

The load I am using at the moment is 74,5 grs of H1000 - COAL = 3,66" - Fed.GM215

I did not have a chance to Chrono it so far, but the velocity I get from ballistic software shows just shy of 2500 fps. (which seems a bit low to me...).

According to your experience, do you Guys think that's a correct figure ?

Thanks
BJ :D

I have being trying some loads with the 215's in my 26" - 1 in 11" TR .300 Win.Mag. lately...

The load I am using at the moment is 74,5 grs of H1000 - COAL = 3,66" - Fed.GM215

I did not have a chance to Chrono it so far, but the velocity I get from ballistic software shows just shy of 2500 fps. (which seems a bit low to me...).

According to your experience, do you Guys think that's a correct figure ?

Thanks
BJ :D

That does seem slow to me.....Rich

I've had a box of the 215's in the cabinet for too long. I've been too busy with a few other rifles to load and test them in my 30/378, but guess I'd better seeing all the success others are having with them. It shoots the 210's sub 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
I've had a box of the 215's in the cabinet for too long. I've been too busy with a few other rifles to load and test them in my 30/378, but guess I'd better seeing all the success others are having with them. It shoots the 210's sub 1/2 MOA.

If it were me I would take advantage of that big case and load 230's. The 215's are great but in that 30-378 the 230 would be even better.

Jeff

If it were me I would take advantage of that big case and load 230's. The 215's are great but in that 30-378 the 230 would be even better.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. Will mag length shoot well with the 230's.

I would suggest that any OAL short of the ogive falling into the case mouth would work.

I have loaded the 230s in three 300 RUMs and a 300 WSM. (The 300 WSM was seated very deeply to fit a 2.8" mag box) Regardless of the constraints of the mag box all rifles shot well.

Berger says the hybrid is not seating depth sensitive and I must agree. Their statement is true for the other calibers I have loaded with hybrids. 6mm, 7mm and 338.

I'd say give the 230s a try.

Thanks for the reply. Will mag length shoot well with the 230's.

It shouldnt, we have shot them from Accumarks. I use to shoot 210's in my 30-378's but when we switched to 230's it really made this chambering more efficient. Dont get me wrong, I love the 215's, but when we have the case capacity like to 30-378 and RUM the 230's are my choice. The 215 is more expansive with higher impact velocities and with any fragmenting bullet I like as much bullet weight as I can get. Thus my reasoning for the 230's in larger cases.

Jeff

That does seem slow to me.....Rich

ALASKA2006 said:
Lots of variables to consider but assuming
26" barrel and thing standard I would say
That is 10% low
My guess would put you 2,825 +\- 25 FPS.

It does seem slow to me as well....
Again, did not have the chance to chrono it.

I zeroed the rifle at 200 meter (218 yds.) and, at 400 meter (437 yds.) I had to dial 6,75 MOA....

The two ballistic SW I've checked gave me pretty much "that" velocity, based on trajectory results....and the difference between the two was minor....

If I recall, Some of You Guys have pushed that load to 79 grs. at over 2900's....

Brass was Norma, already formed to chamber (second firing).

The 74,5 load does not feel as a "slow" one to shoot, at all.
Actually, it feels very solid and "round".

I've also previously tried 77 grs. with no pressure signs.
Should I increase the load ?

Could it possibly be the bullet too far out (0,016" Jump) ?

???

:rolleyes: