Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

I'm shooting them out of a 10 twist as well.
Went out a few days after Christmas on my cow hunt. When my opportunity came it wasn't really a long range shot but when it comes to elk I'm not going to pass up a good shot hoping for a longer one. Found a large herd, somewhere about 100 head. Waiting until I could get one of the larger cows separated off to the side. Ranged her at 394 yards, dialed up 4.0 MOA on my Nightforce leaned into the deadfall I was using for a rest and eased one in right in the crease of the shoulder. As I recovered from the recoil and got her back in the scope she took two jumps forward and went down on her front end kinda skidding through the snow and regained her feet disapeering into the swarming herd. I watched the herd for a bit with my binos as they milled in a ball looking for my cow. After a couple minutes they started to ease off and since I couldn't see one that looked sick I started looking off to the side of them and immediately saw the rear end of my cow lying on the ground facing me. While I didn't see her go down she did not travel more than 20 or 30 yards from the shot. 215 Berger Hybrid entered right in the crease behind the shoulder and exited near the back of the rib cage on the far side leaving a tennis ball size hole taking out 2 ribs in front of the last one. That transect just destroyed the lungs and perforated the diaphragm causing massive internal hemorrhaging that filled up the body cavity on both sides of the diaphragm with blood.
I've killed quite a few elk with the same shot placement using traditional bullets like Nosler Partitions and Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips, etc and had very similar results. I've now killed 3 antelope and an elk with the 215 Berger Hybrids and have total confidence in them. All shots have been between 200 and 538 yards so far and all had what I would call "normal, expected" size exit holes. I am totally sold on these as North American big game hunting bullets. All critters were DRT 9 within 20 - 30 yards). gun) :)

Attachments

• Todd's late season cow.jpg
    Todd's late season cow.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 432
  • 528 Yard goat.jpg
    528 Yard goat.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 431
  • #2 @ 353.jpg
    #2 @ 353.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Erik's goat.jpg
    Erik's goat.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 423
What twist rate are you guys using with the 215 in 300 win mag?
I have 2 rifles listed below, both with 1:10 twist barrels. I'm shooting from 4500 feet to 10500 in elevation.

Load info:
Winchester brass
CCI 250
Berger 215 hybrid
H1000
Seating at ten thousandths off the lands

R-bros LWLRH
27" Broughton barrel
76.0 gr H1000

R-Bros Berger 215 200 yards.jpg

Shilen barreled Model 70
27" Shilen Match Select barrel
76.5 gr H1000

Shot these groups at 200 yards.

Mod 70 with 76.5gr H1000 & Berger 215 Hybrid.jpeg

Just for information I have had stabilisation issues with the 215's in my 10 twist Lothar Walther barrel. I was getting one bullet going 5 to 6" inches low approximately every 10 - 15 rounds. When I input my data into Berger's stabilisation calculator it came back to say that the bullet is marginal. Ave velocity was 2920 fps.

Here's my 215hybrid load, 76.5g h1000 @2950fps. rifle is a factory savage 110FCP topped with an HS-T 6-24x50zz trigger it down to just below 1.5lbs
Photobucket isn't linking the pics for me... this load put 5shots in one ragged hole at 100yards

Last edited:
Just for information I have had stabilisation issues with the 215's in my 10 twist Lothar Walther barrel. I was getting one bullet going 5 to 6" inches low approximately every 10 - 15 rounds. When I input my data into Berger's stabilisation calculator it came back to say that the bullet is marginal. Ave velocity was 2920 fps.
Jon2,
From 1.0 to 1.49 on the graph your bullet will be stable and fly point forward all the way to the target. The only effect on the bullet in this "marginal stability range" is on the BC of the bullet. This will be noted as a percentage and as a number so you can put the correct BC in your ballistic calculator for your situation. The bullet has to be less than 1.0 on the graph to be truly unstable ( I fudge it to 1.1 just to be safe) . Always be sure to enter the ALTITUDE(s) you will be shooting at! Altitude is the biggest factor in making up for lack of barrel twist rate there is. Hopefully we will be redoing this scale to make it less confusing.

I know it's going seem like splitting hairs but it really is not.

Its air density not altitude.

Yes altitude is one of the two largest contributing factors that effects AD.

3000' @100 F might have the same effect on air density as sea level @ 25F . I did not check its just an example but to the point. temp and altitude both significantly effect air density.

The difference can be quite dramatic as going from hot summer to cold winter could have you needing up to 2 inch change in twit rate to achieve the same stability factor. Not a big deal if at ICAO you are running 1.5 but below 1.3 and there can be real issues if you hunt in low elevations in winter.

I know it's going seem like splitting hairs but it really is not.

Its air density not altitude.

Yes altitude is one of the two largest contributing factors that effects AD.

3000' @100 F might have the same effect on air density as sea level @ 25F . I did not check its just an example but to the point. temp and altitude both significantly effect air density.

The difference can be quite dramatic as going from hot summer to cold winter could have you needing up to 2 inch change in twit rate to achieve the same stability factor. Not a big deal if at ICAO you are running 1.5 but below 1.3 and there can be real issues if you hunt in low elevations in winter.

You are correct in regards to density altitude being the correct factor to use. However unless you are there to get that reading . Use the altitude to get an idea of whats going on. In the field always use the density altitude.

Just FYI.....some new smartphones now have Barometer sensors. The Pixel XL I have does. I either use a barometer app or Strelok app has the option to use the built in sensor in it's calculations

jjw
ND

Has anybody tried n570 powder for the 300 win mag and the 215? I tried retumbo with the 210s my rifle didn't really seem to care for it to much. Loves h1000 trying to see if I can pick up a lil speed. Load right now is 3.520 coal 77 grains h1000 Norma brass cci 250 primer. 2875 avg es 12 sd 4. Been 1/2 moa or better if I do my part. Happy with the load just being at sea level trying to get all the performance I can.

Has anybody tried n570 powder for the 300 win mag and the 215? I tried retumbo with the 210s my rifle didn't really seem to care for it to much. Loves h1000 trying to see if I can pick up a lil speed. Load right now is 3.520 coal 77 grains h1000 Norma brass cci 250 primer. 2875 avg es 12 sd 4. Been 1/2 moa or better if I do my part. Happy with the load just being at sea level trying to get all the performance I can.
I have, some info here. http://www.longrangeonly.com/300-win-mag-vs-30-nosler-comparison/