Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

I made it to 79 grains of H1000 in my 300 WM. I am using Nosler brass with FED GM 215 primers. Speed is right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux on a Borden action. No hard bolt lift or extractor marks. The 215 Berger shoots awesome.

I made it to 79 grains of H1000 in my 300 WM. I am using Nosler brass with FED GM 215 primers. Speed is right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux on a Borden action. No hard bolt lift or extractor marks. The 215 Berger shoots awesome.

What COAL are you at? I have to load these around 3.525" do to a tight match chamber with a shorter throat. This puts me about 0.010" off the lands. The barrel is a Krieger 26" 300 wm.

I've only been able to make it to 76.5 grains of H1000 in Norma brass with the Berger 215s. 77.0 shows slight(and I mean slight) ejector marks. I am thinking this is from having to seat them in deeper. Velocity average 2915 with a SD of 15.

This is with Fed 210m primers, going to try out some Fed 215m's to see how that performs. I started with Fed 210m primers since that is what my 185 match loads liked the best.

My current 230 OTM load is 75.0 grains of H1000, 215 primers and Hornady Brass loaded to 0.025" off the lands. Average velocity is around 2790 fps.

I am at 3.962" I talked to Broz before I ordered a reamer from PTG. He specified that I wanted 50 thou extra free bore. I am 30 thou off the lands with this COAL. A friend of mine is also at 77 gr of H1000. His brass is heavier than my Nosler brass. His speed is also very similar to what you are getting. He is also 30 thou off. Both guns shoots incredible with the 215's. We have only shot them out to 700 yds so far.

I am at 3.962" I talked to Broz before I ordered a reamer from PTG. He specified that I wanted 50 thou extra free bore. I am 30 thou off the lands with this COAL. A friend of mine is also at 77 gr of H1000. His brass is heavier than my Nosler brass. His speed is also very similar to what you are getting. He is also 30 thou off. Both guns shoots incredible with the 215's. We have only shot them out to 700 yds so far.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I may have to look into that reamer and open up my free bore a little.

I've used the 215s out to 1000 yards before and the 230s a little further with great results. There is a local 2000 and 2500 yard shoot coming up that I'm going to try both bullets out on. Using a ballistic calculator it looks like the 215 has a slight advantage out of my gun due to the extra velocity but we'll see how it goes.

I want to chime in to add my success to the pile with 215 Bergers.

Shooting them out of my 300 WM, 2825 FPS. Between my family and I, we managed to harvest 4 elk this year with my rifle.

4 Elk shot at 175, 285, 305, and 503. All one shot kills.

I am thoroughly pleased with the performance from these pills. Great penetration, Only recovered one bullet.

Thanks Broz for this write up, it was a catalyst for me this year and proved very fruitful for my family and I!

Today I was looking at the new Berger bullet spec sheet. It shows the 215 gr bullet to have a lower form factor than the 230 gr.

I want to chime in to add my success to the pile with 215 Bergers.

Shooting them out of my 300 WM, 2825 FPS. Between my family and I, we managed to harvest 4 elk this year with my rifle.

4 Elk shot at 175, 285, 305, and 503. All one shot kills.

I am thoroughly pleased with the performance from these pills. Great penetration, Only recovered one bullet.

Thanks Broz for this write up, it was a catalyst for me this year and proved very fruitful for my family and I!

You are welcome, we continue to take big game with them. My 300 win is at 31 cold bore kills. Many more elk taken this fall already , several with the 215's. They continue to amaze me especially when compared to other bullets. We hosted a depredation elk hunt and took 33 elk. Got to see lots of kills and see how many bullet preform. It was enlightening.

Jeff

You are welcome, we continue to take big game with them. My 300 win is at 31 cold bore kills. Many more elk taken this fall already , several with the 215's. They continue to amaze me especially when compared to other bullets. We hosted a depredation elk hunt and took 33 elk. Got to see lots of kills and see how many bullet preform. It was enlightening.

Jeff

Any enlightenment worth sharing? You been shooting the 215 or the 210 more these days?

Any enlightenment worth sharing? You been shooting the 215 or the 210 more these days?

I have completely switched to the 215's for my 300 win hunting bullet. Plus we have also loaded them in some friends rifles for the last few years. With big game kills over 60 now for the 215 alone, I have not seen one that didn't perform to our expectations. The 215 is one special bullet and kills even elk sized game very quickly at all distances we have used them.

Jeff

I do not hunt with the 215s but I did compete with them several times last year in my 300wm including a couple Norcal URSA events and several local LR events. Shot them out to 2050 yards on multiple occasions with success each time. Even got a chance to try them at 2500 yards and even though I did achieve a couple confirmed hits(LED Impact system), seeing splashes/misses were a problem that day so the next attempt will be with better spotting equipment.

Broz, seeing how well the 215 Hybrid does on game using a 300WM, how do you think it would do out of the '06?

Jeff, what is the longest distance your 300 WM has taken elk using the 215's?

7mm, I think it would be excellent inside the parameters of the velocity it would produce. Most likely even better than the 300 win under 600 because of the slower MV.

CA, I have taken a few elk between 850 and 1000.

Jeff