Collet Dies? You Use Them?

CaptnC

I traded for a set of 300WM Lee Dies and it was a three die set.

The Hurricane has us pinned down for now so I'm playing on the internet. I don't normally have time...

I've been meaning to ask if everyone rolling their own for precision shooting used Collet dies? I've heard of neck sizing, never have...dad was FL sizer so I followed what was working. All we ever worried about was MOA of dead deer. So that what I've been doing since the late 70's.

Any way after following the break procedure my first attempt at group was a 5 shot bug hole that is 0.578. Not sure how much better it can get but I know this has to be easier on the brass. It is certainly faster without having to lube and clean the cases.

I really would like to make/buy one for 6.5-06...have one build in the works (waiting on barrel) and have one already one in 6.5-06. I think this caliber would benefit quite a lot from this process if it will improve neck tension. I've never turned a neck either...might have to look into that as well...

I use one for my .300 win mag. I'm on my 4th reloading with only neck sizing and annealing and they still chamber beautifully. Not having to lube them is great. I also haven't had to trim yet. Between that and my Forester benchrest seater my reloads have gotten significantly better.

it is a rare occasion that I don't use my collet die. Why lube? I only single shot or bolt action and feel no need at all to fl size

Run a collet die on most of my rounds. I do keep specific brass for specific rifles where I have 2 or more guns in the same caliber though. Quicker as you've noticed but also, my accuracy is improved.
I'll FL resize about every 4 loads.

Yes with success, when I need to FL resize I size the body with a redding die and the neck with the collet
Yep. Redding body die + Lee collet neck die = lowest case run out possible. Extremely straight ammo.
However, I highly suggest a consistent sizing routine. You can not neck size every time, eventually you WILL have to FL size. You will never hear me advocating neck sizing only, ever.
If you can't find a body die to use with a Lee Collet neck die, just continue full length sizing CORRECTLY.
Correctly meaning sizing until the shoulder is bumped back .002". If you dont have the tools to measure this just size until the bolt closes with a "feel" but no real resistance.

Last edited:
I love collet dies. If I have to body size and I have a collet die and a body die, that's what I will do.

If I don't feel I need to body size I won't. If I have one I will use the Lee collet die. Failing that bushing does.

Unfortunately the list of collet dies is limited. Or, I load too many cartridges.

Lee will make you any caliber collet die you wish. This topic comes up quite a bit and the opinions are vast, but overall most who have used them have good results. I use them on all my bolt or single shot guns. My normal routine is to Redding body size (.002 bump) every third loading, even though many say that it should be done every time for consistency. I've done it both ways and have not noticed any accuracy difference.

I am aware that they will make dies. When I was ready to send brass to them, the entire industry was so backed up on orders that there was no telling when the orders would be fulfilled.

I have not checked Lee's back log recently.

I am aware that they will make dies. When I was ready to send brass to them, the entire industry was so backed up on orders that there was no telling when the orders would be fulfilled.

I have not checked Lee's back log recently.
I called them about six months ago and it was around two to three weeks.
Things might have changed since then though.

It has been a long time since I checked. So long ago that the web site said "not taking orders"

I blew up a 308 die by camming over a modern press. This let me take the collet die apart without worrying about any "warranty" issues.

It's a very clever design. Having them made is way cheaper than making them yourself, which is possible and I will try it someday.

Oh, I wish the collet had 6 slots instead of 4. However, I do like has been suggested by many. Anneal. Size, turn 1/8th, size.

I tried using the Lee collet die, "BUT" every time I tried to get uniform neck sizing force the string broke and the duct tape ripped.

1vfVT3Q.jpg

Someone at accurateshooter.com reloading forums said he attached his "click adjustable" torque wrench to his press. My reply was "I cant get my torque wrench to click" like yours, what am I doing wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.