Lee Collet Die To Use on 284 Case

Savage 12BVSS

I've heard that a 7x57 collet die will work on 284 if metal is removed from inside collet sleeve. Has anybody done this and how did you modify the sleeve to work? They will produce one if I mail two cases and a bullet to them but have a turnaround of one month or longer. They also want me to purchase a seater die with it and $19 becomes about $80 with a wait. Anybody done this and if not I guess its all trial and error.

It wouldn't surprise me if it would work. I have collet dies for my 25/06 and they work for my 257 Weatherby. Both cases are no where close in body dimensions, just in length. I just have to use a shim/washer to make this work and it works great.
A 7mm/08 collet die may work. If I had a 284 case I would try for you. The dimensions are somewhat closer than the 25/06 vs 257 Weatherby.

Last edited:
They say a 7mm-08 will work with a spacer or 7x57 with some sleeve grinding out due to length. Think I need to get a 308 or 260 barrel and not fight this up hill battle. I'll see if I can find a 284 case up the shop tomorrow and take a 7mm-08 collet die along. Use the work press up there. Thank You sir for idea's. 308's are usually extremely accurate so I may give it some thought as well.....

I've thought about making a universal neck collet die. It would be caliber specific, but not case specific. I envision it working upside down from the Lee collet and it wouldn't deprime. You'd be able to adjust the length of neck that gets sized. Instead of pressing collet fingers into a mandrel, it would have a sleeve or something to squeeze the collet.

Thats an interesting idea. If you took enough out of the inside edge of the sleeve it would work on one caliber and different cartridges. I may do something like that tomorrow when I'm up the gunshop.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.