Choosing new gun, going father...help me

See Broz's posts on 300 Win Mag, absolutely amazing.

Savage makes a long range hunter in 6.5x284, great rifle and great long range round for most game and targets. Reasonable price to get into also. Put a better than average scope on it with the savings. Look at a Vortex Viper PST, that's my .02

have fun with it and good luck with your new gun, what ever it may be.

Im new to the site so a little about me, Im 20 ive been hunting aince I was 5, father was a LEO and trained sniper whole familys military. I have shot to 650 yards but that's it.

I currently shoot a savage axis 30/06 with a bushnell doa 600 scope and a savage model 110e 30/06 with a bushnell doa 600. I have a H&R single shot chambered in 308 with a 16 power night stalker scope that I shoot regularly to 600 with .

Im wanting to step it up a notch im looking between a 300 win mag, 338 win mag and a 7mm magnum. I just cant choose and have never had any experience with them. Any input would be helpful.

look at the 7mm remington magnum. it will shoot out to 2000 yards without a problem.

look at the 7mm remington magnum. it will shoot out to 2000 yards without a problem.
I just can't see it having enought energy at 2,000 to kill anything larger than a rodent...

I love my 7Mag, don't get me wrong, but I doubt it will have enough energy at that great of a distance to kill a deer, or anything of that sort.

I just can't see it having enought energy at 2,000 to kill anything larger than a rodent...

I love my 7Mag, don't get me wrong, but I doubt it will have enough energy at that great of a distance to kill a deer, or anything of that sort.

did i say it would kill anything at that range? why would you ever take a shot at an animal on anything over 1500 yards?

did i say it would kill anything at that range? why would you ever take a shot at an animal on anything over 1500 yards?

You never specified, so don't get all defensive when I make I make a comment. How about that... But you did mention shooting a 7Mag @ 2000 yards.

Ill shoot paper with it at long distance, but it will be used to hunt everything from white tail here in ky to large game up north. I have began to narrow my search to a Remington 700 with bull barrel chambered in 300 win mag and have been at the local shooting store that supplies all our police departments and is full of former military that work there and they have got me leaning towards the 6.5x284

I shoot 6.5x284's.(Savage/Cooper), 308/300wm(Rem Milspecs), and 338L(Savage111). All are superbly accurate out past 1000 yards. If you can get your hands on a Remington Milspec in 300WM it's very versatile from paper to larger game past 1000 yards. With a jewel or Timney trigger and a muzzle brake, recoil is like a 308, it's well put together, good stock, and capable of sub .5MOA. It's easy to build accurate loads with a wide variety of readily accessible powders and bullets. I'm a die hard 6.5x284 shooter, but if I were limited to one long range rifle, it would likely be my 300 Milspec. iMO.

If you handload you might want to try a 6.5x300 WSM ,very good accurate long range shooter

elkin- most of the answers on here are -" rem sendero and leup 6.5-20. you pick the caliber". if i was in ky i would get a 7mm. i would sell the axis and the h&r to get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.