Buying a new gun need help choosing

Why does everything posted these days turn into a ****ing contest. He asked a simple question about a caliber choice. He did not ask if anyone thought it was ethical or not. WOW. I love the 300 by the way.

Sully,

I am not going to tell you to go away...That's just not me. But what you are alluding to in your above posts is "Hunting ethics".

I am pretty sure it was made clear buy the owner/opperator of this web site that this subject is vorbotten here at LRH.

Just sayin.

You may well be correct..?? In that case I stepped over some line...and Id apologize to everyone involved. It seems strange in one way that ethics are verboten...but in other ways I can understand it totally.

Thanks for pointing that out to me

Why does everything posted these days turn into a ****ing contest. He asked a simple question about a caliber choice. He did not ask if anyone thought it was ethical or not. WOW. I love the 300 by the way.
For some people it just ain't a party till they drop a turd in the punch bowl.

Back to the point, if you want to bring down somthing big a distance nothing works better then hitting it with somthing big. THE 300 ULTRA and the 338 ultra , edge , lapua and for sure the lapua imp will all do the job. my two cents.

I have my .338 RUM that will do anythung a .338 Lapua can do. you can find them for cheap sometimse. I know Ive seen them as Senduros and I think that would be an excellent budget rig. Mine is a simple XCR 1 with a bit of elbow grease put into it. Im not to the point of shooting elk at 1000 yards with it yet, but its mostly because its under 10 lbs and Im just not that good.

I would take WildRose's advice and shoot one first. Some people dont notice the recoil and some do, and there is no shame admiting that you dont lke recoil. I think that for a match gun you'll want something smaller, maybe a 6.5 of sorts.

for a elk gun id try the .338 RUM/Lapua/edge/Wby and if its too much try the 300 RUM and if its too much drop to a 7 STW. i think that all those are good to 1k.

I always try to get the best shot possible sometimes its at 10 yards and sometimes its at 600 yards. depends on the situation.... I also like my Howard Hill long bow.

I guess lapua it is then now to find one... anyone have a line on a savage 110 fcp 338 lapua??? had one bought locally, but got there and found out it was the wrong model

I would contact Brian at Shoot Long.com, he goes by Tikka Lover on here, it looked like he might be able to help a guy out.

Wow, this thread HAS turned into more of a ****ing match than a conversation with any relevance to the original question. Anything from the 6.5-284 to one of the big .338's will do the job... if you do yours and use good judgement deciding which shots not to take. More important to shoot well than what you shoot with, within reason. The .300 win mag is an old standby. I prefer the 7mm Rem mag because of the superior BC's available and lower recoil than larger calibers. I have had several versions of the big .30's, and they killed elk with authority, but so have my 7mm's. Get what you can shoot best.

thanks for the replies I ended up with the 338 lapua....

As for recoil I have shot a 416 rigby of a friends and a barret 50 so it doesn't bother me really.

I shot a 7mm for a long time before I started shooting a 308 . I think I can use my 308 for the matches with some 208 grain amax I ought to be ok. I have shot 168 bergers to 1000 with good results and accuracy. Wish i hadn't sold the 7mm to a friend miss that ole gun.

thanks for the replies I ended up with the 338 lapua....

As for recoil I have shot a 416 rigby of a friends and a barret 50 so it doesn't bother me really.

I shot a 7mm for a long time before I started shooting a 308 . I think I can use my 308 for the matches with some 208 grain amax I ought to be ok. I have shot 168 bergers to 1000 with good results and accuracy. Wish i hadn't sold the 7mm to a friend miss that ole gun.
I know how ya feel. I let my ex get off with my mod 70 7mm mag and I've regretted it ever since.

For what it was costing me to keep her it was sure as hell worth it though! :D

Good luck with the .338. Set it up right and the recoil is certainly manageable.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts