help choosing new rifle caliber

slapshot0183

What rifle caliber is comparable to a 300 win mag in power? but not belted. wildcats are an option

this rifle will be custom built and will be used for anything from elk hunting to target shooting(messing around) out to 1000 yards or so. It will not be shot alot the man objective is accuracy

What rifle caliber is comparable to a 300 win mag in power? but not belted. wildcats are an option

this rifle will be custom built and will be used for anything from elk hunting to target shooting(messing around) out to 1000 yards or so. It will not be shot alot the man objective is accuracy
No brainer on this one. In the 30 cal's 300wsm or 300 Rum if you want more power at long range.

It depends upon what type of rifle you are building, something light to carry around. Or something heavy that you'll shoot from an ambush spot.

If it's to be carried, 300wsm, 300 SAUM, 300RUM, etc.

If it's gonna be something heavier, you can get into serious power with a 338RUM, 338 Edge.

When you start getting into the Wildcats, you can have whatever you want.

A 338WSM built on a long action is an incredibly efficient round with terrific barrel life.

Why are you concerned about the belt? If reloading dies are setup correctly (ignore the belt and headspace off the shoulder), you'll get fine brass life.

AJ

i was just told to avoid belted brass. im looking at using sinclair press with wilson dies what the pros and cons of 300 wsm vs 300 rum. if i get one of those should i get a brake on it

i was just told to avoid belted brass. im looking at using sinclair press with wilson dies what the pros and cons of 300 wsm vs 300 rum. if i get one of those should i get a brake on it
In spite of what you may read on the internet there's nothing wrong wit the belted magnums at all.

The non belted cases will perhaps tend to last a few more trips though the reloader but the difference is negligible.

As for a muzzle brake, anything that reduces felt recoil is going to make your rifle more enjoyable to shoot, and a quality brake will certainly help you to see your impacts and to more quickly make follow up shots when needed.

If larger than deer sized game is a possibility I'd go with the RUM. The only advantage to the short and super short magnums is that they can be run through short actions.

The 300WSM and 300RUM are in completely different categories.

The WSM is lower powered, can be built on a short action, Doesn't necessarily require a brake.

The RUM is top of the foodchain .30 caliber (non-wildcat, ammo economically/readily/easily available), will erode the barrel faster and will definitely make good use of a Brake.

It all depends on what type of rifle you are building, a carry around gun that you will use without double hearing protection (don't put a brake on it).
Or a heavier, shoot it from the bench and always wear double hearing protection (put a brake on it and a nice heavy barrel).

AJ

Last edited:
just a correction, Lazzeroni's 7.82 (.308) Warbird is NOT a wildcat, it is factory loaded, it is beltless and is the fastest commercially loaded 300 magnum in the world,,,,,

has been since its initial release in 1995 ,,,,,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.