Choice of caliber for coyotes

I know they went 400 yards because I had to go through knee deep snow to get him which really sucked and i ranged the distance. I know it was a double lung because i skinned it, there was also copper fragments all over the exit wound, 55 grain V-max shot at 200 yards. I know it doesnt seem possible, but im telling you the dogs i shoot at night are nothing like daytime dogs.
I've never noticed a difference, however that doesn't mean it can't happen, good shooting.

Depends on quite a few things.

Are you just killing them or taking hides?

Range you plan to shoot?

How much wind will typically have to deal with.

I've shot truckloads of coyotes over the last thirty years with .220 Swift, .204 Ruger, .264wm, 260Rem, and even the 7RM and 7mm STW.

Out to about 400yds in relatively calm conditions the .204 is outstanding and with the right bullet and shot placement produces excellent hides.

The Swift is it's equal to about 600yds.

If it's going to be very windy I just take take one of the .260's because of much higher BC bullets that are superior when fighting the wind.

One that doesn't get the love anymore it should is the .22 Hornet wich is an outstanding varminter out to about 400yds.
Long live the Swift!! Been carrying one for around 25 years and it still impresses me.

Looking for opinion on what caliber would be the best for coyotes. At ranges never know anywhere from 10 yards to 400 yards. I'm putting a pulsar thermal scope on the rifle. I will be reloading for it. Thanks for any information appreciate it.
Coyotes are easy to put down. I personally use a .223 AI with a stiff load of Varget and Hornady 55gr V-Max. That combo kills coyotes extremely well.

Many choices all good! I prefer .243 just because of its flexibility in bullet weights, access to components, vast powder selection for good loads, so what's not to like? Drive 55 gr up to 4K fps! Have youngsters? Great first whitetail rifle. Girl friend or wife? Prob lose it to them. And no I don't mean both at same time!😱
I love my .223, but my fav coyote rifle is a .243 shooting 55 gr bullets at 4K. Normally I am not a fan of light fast bullets, but in this case this load is better than a .223 shooting the same weight. Puts them down pronto as well.

Looking for opinion on what caliber would be the best for coyotes. At ranges never know anywhere from 10 yards to 400 yards. I'm putting a pulsar thermal scope on the rifle. I will be reloading for it. Thanks for any information appreciate it.
Depends on which side of the river he's on, if he's still in the river or on the bank. I'd go with at least 300WM.

For over 40yrs my goto predator guns depend upon the type of terrain I'm hunting in...For close cover shooting I slide my Savage O/U 24v, chambered in .222 Remington over a 3" Magnum 20ga, out of its case...Where cover/terrain will likely make for longer distance shooting my .243 Winchester is the usual choice......
This is too much coincidence.. Last name is Carr , my Dad left me the same gun!!! turkey , ground hogs, deer you name it... I need a trigger guard that fits and to get it back out in the woods!!! Made my day seeing this one!!!

Paul Carr Jr

Long live the Swift!! Been carrying one for around 25 years and it still impresses me.
What can I say it simply works and works very well on everything from prairie dogs to WT Deer and Pronghorn Antelope.

I still see more 22-250's and swifts in the hands of serious Antelope hunters than anything else with probably the 243 next in line followed by the 25-06. Of course I expect the 6.5CM and PRC's will soon change that dynamic.

Not exactly the ideal as a long range cartridge but for 95% of hunters more than adequate.

I use a 243 Win, but I'm not shooting for hides. It tears most of em up pretty bad. But it's effective well past 400 yds. If I had to do it again I would go with a .22-250 and if I was going to build a custom it would be a fast twist .22-250.

I don't disagree, and I feel that the amount of lead being put into the environment by target shooters far exceeds any amount placed there by hunters, even if we are shooting at potential condor food sources. That being said, its just not worth it to me to have my license revoked over, especially in this instance for a caliber like .223 that isn't even that effective in general. Plus I do hunt right near the Sespe condor sanctuary and the Bitter Creek NWR which has a flight cage and otherwise fosters condors. Hunting coyotes in winter I don't worry about being stopped, but during deer and black bear season it would be in the back of my mind. I think the lead free rules are B.S., but I still try to do the right thing.
Well stated. The average hunter isn't firing more than ten shots a year including annual sight in.

The average target shooter is shooting hundreds or thousands of times that number of rounds per year.

Tell us which Pulsar thermal you plan on using. I have a pulsar and at 400 yards it would be a crap shoot hitting a coyote sized target off shooting sticks regardless of what caliber you shoot. As a previous poster mentioned, positive target identification may be an issue with any but the most expensive thermals.
I haven't gotten through all the posts, but this nails it. To add to the logic, consider potentially reduced accuracy compared to a traditional scope in the daylight. Are you getting a thermal with rangefinding capability? It's tough to tell distance precisely enough for making a solid elevation call without it, or LOTS of experience. Even then, is that a big coyote at 400, or a smaller one at 300?… What about that grass, or tree limb or other unseen obstacle? I'm far from an expert at using a thermal, but it's definitely a different game! All that said, I agree with as flat shooting cartridge as you can get. 22 creed or fast twist .22-250 would be good.
I use a .223 or 6.5 Grendel AR and both work fine out to 200, and probably past if you can make the shot.

I really like my 20-250 and my 22-243 rifles that I have built! the 20-250 shoots a 40gr nosler BT at 4150fps and the 22-243 shoots a 55gr nosler BT at 4000fps. The 22-243 is really hard on coyote fur but 20-250 is not!

Caliber suggestion would be .224, cartridge suggestion would be a 22 creedmoor.