Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

Remington 700 sps varmint, boyd LRV stock and a nikon 6.5-20x44 monarch ucc, still has the x-mark trigger. Setting up for my first pd hunt this coming june. Yup, you don't really need that kind of accuracy for coyote hunting but it sure is nice to know that you gun is capable of shooting small groups at whatever range you need

Last edited:
All well and good, but do we really need bug-hole accuracy for coyotes?
Isn't finding best accuracy at highest velocity of an appropriate projectile a statement on ethics to promote longer ranges?
I have my own standards within the capabilities of the firearm I have in my hands. By developing and testing at the range I build confidence in both my abilities and the rifle/load combinations in a given circumstance. The more precise I can make a combination perform the less opportunity I give to detractors of long range game shooting in the way of ethics. I understand your statement when you mention coyotes. I'm just giving a view that may be encountered when you speak outside of circles that participate in long range shooting/hunting.

I am speaking from the standpoint of my own standards: I don't yearn for more accuracy than what I need. I am not greedy for better and better accuracy merely because I don't want to pay the price of better equipment, more practice, more study, more failures and time wasted in search of that holy bug hole grail.

I am perfectly happy with achieving the accuracy required only for shorter ranges.....say up to 300 yards. I just don't get excited about shoot prairie dogs at 1,000 yards because the odds are against my success at that range. Don't get me wrong; I am not negatively criticizing those who search for the ultimate in long-range accuracy. I think it is a worthy pursuit. For me, however, I am just a lurker in the realm of shorter-range targets.....for now, at least.....and at those ranges, I rarely miss. Do I lack motivation? Certainly! I'm retired and don't give a $***.

Talk about accuracy? I was a dentist for 35 years and had to be aware of accuracy (MICRONS, baby...not tenths of an inch), and the stress was always there. I no longer have to assume the yolk of having to be perfect every day.

Last edited:
Goofycat has said it the best. I have been shooting my 243 now for 28 years and followed the advise from a wise old man that said every gun will digest bullets and powder differently than someone elses.

A lot of the guys suggested 87gr Hornaday with IMR4350. I agree with the 4350 as being the powder, but the 87gr never performed as well as the 85gr tips.

You need to play around with the weight charge for the powder, to get the right one for your gun and once you do, don't waste your time in trying other powders and tips.

I have used Sierra 85 gr HPBT & SPBT MatchKings for the past 20 plus years, killing countless woodchuck, crows, turkey vultures, coyotes, and a few nice white tail bucks. If you stay with the same bullet weight and powder charge for all of your hunting needs you will always know exactly how the bullet is going to react in whatever weather conditions you are in.

I have a chart that I copied out of an Americam Riflemand magizine from 1984 by Rick Jamison that gave the best bullet weight and top 3 powders for a bunch of different calibers. He said that if you don't get the best results from this information, you need to check your reloading steps. He knew better than to give specific grain charges on the powder, because he too knew that every gun will digest differently.

Good luck in deciding which bullet to use.

Hi guys,

I stay in Scotland uk and following this thread with interest. I own a Ruger M77 mkII in a .243 and load vmax 87grn with h414 with great effect on foxes and roe deer out to 400yds+ with no runners. Here is a picture of my rifle and last weeks fox shot at 347yds. This fox took 18 of the local farmers chicken poults prior to it's demise.
IMG_0377.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.