Choate Stock ?

MN Hunter

I am looking at getting a different stock for my Winchester Model 70 .223 Heavy Varmit rifle. One stock I am considering is the Choate Ultimate Varmiter. Does anyone have any experience with them? Good choice?
Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Personal experiencs with Chote, so the only info I have is complete heresay;
Ive read here on L/R/H in a previous thread that theyre an awesome stock, well built, etc. but incredibly heavy. Have you tried doing a search here on the site? Theres usually alot of usefull info in the archives.

Understanding that the Sniper and Varmint versions are different, all I can relate is my own experience with the sniper version: Years ago I tried the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock on a Rem 700. Wasn't pleased. Sold it to a friend who tried it on his rifle. He sold it too, within weeks.

The Choate has some good points - but some drawbacks too. If at all possible, get your paws on one and see how it feels and fits before spending your money. Lots of interesting features at a bargain price made it worth trying as far as I was concerned.

Weight is a factor - it's a heavy thing, molded of some sort of heavy plastic/nylon type material. Probably strong as all get out.

I just couldn't get it to fit right or feel right to me. It fit the rifle well, fitting the shooter was tough.

FWIW, Guy

I find the Sniper model , so-so . Just not Crazy about the looks . Its the for-end...
The Varmit model is awesome ...
I have a friend that just ordered the New Tactical model .These have a 1.250 " barrel channel as the all the rest , but doesn't have the cut out in the stock , traditional look .
Ray

I have had a couple of Choate Ultimate Varmint stocks, I have since sold them.

The underside of the forend and back of the Ultimate Varmint stock are ribbed making for a slightly bumpy ride on a bench rest.

They are quite heavy, that could be a plus or a minus depending on your intended use. Wouldn't want to stalk elk in the mountains with one, but for shooting off a rest the weight isn't a problem, its actually a plus.

They have an aluminum bedding block, are made of a heavy plastic material, and are very sturdy.

Now I have two of these and like them very much:

CHOATE Machine & Tool, Inc. - Tactical Bolt Action Stock

mms_picture.jpg

Same aluminum bedding block and heavy plastic material, but smooth under the forend and back of stock.

The tactical version has a heavy palm swell in the grip area, good for larger hands.

The barrel sits low in the forend and the forend is quite wide, it is very stable on a rest.

The short action Savage version can be had with the centerfeed detachable magazine. Very nice.

They are available from several vendors and very reasonably priced.

It does not look like they make a Winchester version though.

Last edited:
Pickt up this Savage chambered in 20PPC a while back.....It shoots great but am haveing a hard time warming up to the Accutrigger and stock. I like a big palm swell and this aint it!
Had to skim bed it and clean the tang area up a bit to get the action to fit the stock right, wasnt hard but HAD to be done as the fit was just plain bad.
Not sure I'll keep the stock but am sure I'm not looking for another one.
09outandabout%20050.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts