Stock painting

adk hunter

I thought I would post some photos of my project.
First rifle I decided to do instead of getting dipped to make it my own.
I bought several cans or a green color and settled on Rust-oleum's green camo, dead flat clear and Montana can's Black marble effect. tempImageTqffvl.pngtempImagenDm5QY.pngtempImagewqWgB2.pngtempImageVnU3J4.png

I wasn't too concerned about getting the webbing perfectly to the very edge so taped past the exact edges. I did some practice passes on a box and went for it. I wanted it to be lightly done and was a little worried it would be rough or edgy. First pass was 95% and I gave a few light touch up shots around the grip and the top of the comb where I had it laying. Because it is so humid here I put in drying chamber🤣🤣
Wifey is in Italy! The dead flat clear coat didn't spray on so nicely but I did get it even. It did darken the green some.
Overall I learned a couple things but couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to share and encourage someone if you think this is difficult it isn't!

Very Cool, nicely done on both.

I guess if this is an encouragement and show-n-tell thread, I'll share mine.

I used alumahyde (I'd use it again). I spent a LOT of time hand-cutting the patterns (trying to mimic both Kryptek and Sitka) with an Xacto knife. Sprayed my base colors, apply a pattern, spray over, apply more pattern, spray over again…

I made the riser out of a piece of cherry (I was in college and dint have extra money to buy an aftermarket riser and I thought they all looked ugly).

The AR (which I built, and screwed up as you can tell from length of the hand guard), shoots Amazingly well. The R700 shot like a tomato stake, sold to my FIL (will probably buy it back some day just to have the action to build from).

0199F63A-6E7C-44D6-BF0A-8C0A92C24C6A.jpeg
48AAEBFF-4344-4935-AFFD-2B7812C87E5A.jpeg
68641654-6BCC-4E79-B2CD-48FB82F38FD4.jpeg
9E7336AE-7BD0-4303-ACDE-DF83E241313D.jpeg
2E212947-7C8D-490F-AA34-D3CA0FDF99A3.jpeg

Yes please, let's make it show and tell!
The top coat I used has no sheen whatsoever which I really wanted.
I think my next one will have some white webbing too. Maybe a little closer with the can so it looks like veins in marble.
I had a photo of one I saw somewhere and darn if I can find it anywhere now.
View attachment 478049

Yeah, Alumahyde "matte" my ***. I had to buff it with some steel wook to get it to quit looking shiny.

I thought I would post some photos of my project.
First rifle I decided to do instead of getting dipped to make it my own.
I bought several cans or a green color and settled on Rust-oleum's green camo, dead flat clear and Montana can's Black marble effect.View attachment 478008View attachment 478009View attachment 478010View attachment 478011

I wasn't too concerned about getting the webbing perfectly to the very edge so taped past the exact edges. I did some practice passes on a box and went for it. I wanted it to be lightly done and was a little worried it would be rough or edgy. First pass was 95% and I gave a few light touch up shots around the grip and the top of the comb where I had it laying. Because it is so humid here I put in drying chamber🤣🤣
Wifey is in Italy! The dead flat clear coat didn't spray on so nicely but I did get it even. It did darken the green some.
Overall I learned a couple things but couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to share and encourage someone if you think this is difficult it isn't!
That's Awesome, how did you get the webbing to come through like that. 👍

I have painted a bunch of stocks.
Depending on the look, I go either rattle can or model paint.
My work has definitely improved over the last 25 or so.
Just finished this pne for a buddy. It only had the olive green from Manners. I added the grey/green and brighter green, then matte clear over everything.
20230709_202408.jpg

20230710_172052.jpg

20230710_172104.jpg

20230710_173210.jpg

20230710_173315.jpg

20230710_173338.jpg

20230710_173343.jpg

That's Awesome, how did you get the webbing to come through like that. 👍
If you look at the picture with the box and red (underlayment foam) you will see that is the way it comes out. I set the stock barrel channel down and made a pass pretty quickly from 14'' or so and it wrapped around and down and adhered remarkable well.