Chinese Water Deer

Britmeister

I will be brief tonight.

I headed out on my new permission this afternoon for a stalk in the last couple of hours of light on the off chance of a deer!

Upon arrival I noted two Chinese Water Deer grazing out in the middle of a field.

To cut a long story short after a 45 minute stalk and wait in a field drain (ditch) in two foot of water I managed to get a shot off dropping my first Chinese then seconds later I hit the second one! Freehand too, both about 150 yards away!!

I was rather chuffed with myself!

Both of them are in very good condition, gralloched and hanging up for the farm manager!!

Happy days.

Attachments

• 2A228457-28BE-4767-B873-4AB0114D5EE4.jpeg
    2A228457-28BE-4767-B873-4AB0114D5EE4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 549
😂 No, they are a non native species! Escapee's from an estates ornamental collection many years ago which are gradually spreading across the region.

They do look like Teddy Bears though 👍

I have hunted these many times in both England and Scotland. They are also called Muntjac. Not only do they have big canines - they bark like cocker spaniels. Their hide is more like velvet than fur. After driven birds they are my favorite hunt when I'm over.

I have hunted these many times in both England and Scotland. They are also called Muntjac. Not only do they have big canines - they bark like cocker spaniels. Their hide is more like velvet than fur. After driven birds they are my favorite hunt when I'm over.
Just to correct you they Chinese Water Deer are not Muntjac they are their own species they have no antlers only tusks and are only really found in Bedfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk

Britmeister, is being "chuffed" a good thing? Like "happier than a hog in a wallow" ?

Congrats!

I will be brief tonight.

I headed out on my new permission this afternoon for a stalk in the last couple of hours of light on the off chance of a deer!

Upon arrival I noted two Chinese Water Deer grazing out in the middle of a field.

To cut a long story short after a 45 minute stalk and wait in a field drain (ditch) in two foot of water I managed to get a shot off dropping my first Chinese then seconds later I hit the second one! Freehand too, both about 150 yards away!!

I was rather chuffed with myself!

Both of them are in very good condition, gralloched and hanging up for the farm manager!!

Happy days.