Cheap Truck Gun set ups

TC compass $225 after rebate
Konus 4x20x44mm $60 Amazon warehouse. About $100 otherwise.
Ohuhu bipod $18 Amazon warehouse.
Old rings I had laying around, $?
Better than 9 inch pie plate moa at 400 yards.
223/5.56 chamber.
Stock is better than my axis xp II.
Threaded barrel.
Just over $300.

i'm surprised, but i didn't read all the posts, that the handi-rifle wasn't recommended. i love those guns. cheap, accurate and tuff! and praise the Lord they don't come in 6.5 grendelly! lol

Gimme $600 right now for a new rifle that's a "truck gun" and I am immediately going to get a Howa 1500 Kuiu in 308 with a Nikon Prostaff 3 3-9x40 BDC. But it's available in 6.5 Creedmoor too if that's your flavor. $399 for and it's Cerakoted, 20" barrel and has KUIU dip in the stock. I have a prostaff BDC on my old beater 270 for 12 years and haven't touched the dials since I got it zeroed. The BDC actually even works for my rifle out to 400
My wife has a weatherby vanguard Camilla (same 20"barrel and action as the Howa with a fancier stock). Great shooting little gun.

I like my Ruger American. Its flimsy but light. It shoots amazingly well. Just make sure you get the one with the AR mag. You'll hate the plastic ones. Slap a Leupold 3x9 on it. Dont buy too cheap. Trucks bouncing around, extremes in heat and cold knock reticles to pieces. I had several rifles that rattled around in my patrol truck for several hundred miles a day. Trust me, back roads are hard on scopes.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

The New Mossberg's have some great inexpensive rifles.

Gimme $600 right now for a new rifle that's a "truck gun" and I am immediately going to get a Howa 1500 Kuiu in 308 with a Nikon Prostaff 3 3-9x40 BDC. But it's available in 6.5 Creedmoor too if that's your flavor. $399 for and it's Cerakoted, 20" barrel and has KUIU dip in the stock. I have a prostaff BDC on my old beater 270 for 12 years and haven't touched the dials since I got it zeroed. The BDC actually even works for my rifle out to 400
My wife has a weatherby vanguard Camilla (same 20"barrel and action as the Howa with a fancier stock). Great shooting little gun.

Where are you seeing these rifles for $399?

I built the Howa in 6.5 grendel for my wife. She's 5'4" and wanted a rifle that fit perfectly. We pillar and glass bed it in a boyds stock with standard profile barrel shortened it to 18" then threaded it for a can. It shoots sub 1/2 moa all day long with hornady black 123 eld. Last range trip only shot one group and at 200 yds it was .4 moa with 12 mph crosswind gusting to about 20. It was on steel first shot to 400 which was all the farther we shot.

Only problem with grendel in shorter barrels is that it's slow. We usually see about 2400 fps so it's not a flat shooter but it goes where you tell it too. You should see about 2550 with your 22" barrel. You will love it

4E3A8C76-5E68-4916-9B38-7B9F54316E2C.jpeg

Another vote for RARR m, mine is in 7.62x39 with a Vortex Crossfire scope. great little rifle for the farm. killed everything from armadillos to deer with it. Added bonus of super cheap ammo
About time someone brought up the elephant in the room. 30 cal AR15 7.62x39 platform, sure its a Russian original, so what. 16" AR15 with Tula 123 hp 8M3 expanding bullet just flat out work to 250yds. Total set up costs less than 600 bucks including used $250 scope with BDC recticle and collapsible stock weights less than 6lbs. Buy 1K of ammo for $285 and plink at will and use as needed for every other drive around options.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.