Cheap Truck Gun set ups

I have to say I have an issue with leaving guns in vehicles As a police officer we see countless guns stolen from unlocked and locked vehicles Out state has made a law where we can be liable I believe for not securing a gun securely I think as gun owners we can do better and let guns so easily fall into criminals hands Believe me I get its in your vehicle and they committed a crime in taking it but we don't need to give the media and leftists more ammo This is just my opinion
Personally I keep all of my firearms in a safe except 1 and that one is either on me or on the nightstand me mag in and one next to it

I use 6mm Remington 788 95 grain bullet are the longest it will reliably stabelize ninty grain Sieria MatchKings at 3000 fps work fine for cohorts at 500 yards and blow up inside the coyote with o fur damage. With the proper bul!et it would do.for a uninstaller elk. It would do in pinch to e!g under150 yards if you made careful aimed shots with the proper bullet.

You would t louse much of it was camaged, lost or stolen.

Mine shoots a1\2 group when everything I right.

I use a 357 44 Magnum of 454 Cassul depending on what he state of of my period & the size of the bears

you would have to handling almost all.your smmo

Last edited:
Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

I'm going to go against the norm. My truck gun is an 6.5 Grendel AR with 16" barrel and fixed 4x scope. It has been through some pretty rough treatment and gets the job done every time. You can put one together pretty inexpensively. Checkout Primary Arms for optics.

What has not been stated is the intended use. Big Game? Coyote? Grouse? or?

The first thing I would look for is a clip fed rifle. The Rem 788 has been mentioned a couple times, I think the Tikka T3 has been mentioned too. If this is a road hunting big game rifle, the 308 based cartridges would be highest on my list. An AR platformed 6.5 CM would be nice too.

No let's see it
6 Creedmoor
Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA
Tac Ops carbon fiber bolt knob
24" 1:7.5" w. 3 port Muscle Mag brake
Manners PRS2 w. Pillars/bedded
Axisworks M5 DBM w. AI mags
Trigger Tech Diamond @ 8oz
Seekins 30mm low rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50 Gen 2XR
Flatline Ops level
20190518_100634.jpg

20181227_152522.jpg

Bought T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor on a sale for $230 plus tax. Mounted older used 1 inch tube Leupold varix II 40 mm objective scope with used picatinney rings. Lapped in rings. Bore pasted barrel. Shot one and cleaned for 10 rounds. Began load development. Hornady Brass. FED 210 primers. H4350 powder. 140 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M bullets. Various seating depths. The 147's won. Gun now shoots 3/4 MOA out to 425 yards. Has threaded 22" - 5/8x24 with 1:8 twist rate barrel so I will work on a sub sonic load for use with a suppressor. This is a TRUE pickup gun!! T/C should get a lot a credit for this "Affordable" accurate rifle.

I can't get past the fact that a truck gun might be called upon for self-defense. I work in a hospital and can't carry a concealed carry firearm, so this would be the closest gun most of the time. As such, it is usually something semi auto. Often, a 6.5 Grendel AR with back up irons and low power variable optic. I keep a smaller 15 round magazine in the gun and it's quite handy. I can add a bipod or a suppressor if I wanted, but these are rarely used. It needs a sling, because it is more likely to be used for target of opportunity at my hunting leases. It may get carried a bit. I prefer the slightly larger caliber over 5.56, for larger animals and the ability to go through vehicles better. Granted, this is an unlikely scenario, but if it ever happens…

My only suggestion is the TC Compass carbine (18" barrel) in 243, 7-08, 6.5 creed. optics would be a Nikon, Leupold Rifleman or VX-1, there are a couple more brands that are good and modestly priced.

6 Creedmoor
Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA
Tac Ops carbon fiber bolt knob
24" 1:7.5" w. 3 port Muscle Mag brake
Manners PRS2 w. Pillars/bedded
Axisworks M5 DBM w. AI mags
Trigger Tech Diamond @ 8oz
Seekins 30mm low rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50 Gen 2XR
Flatline Ops level
View attachment 156654
View attachment 156653

You are correct.....that is anything but a "cheap" truck gun.

What has not been stated is the intended use. Big Game? Coyote? Grouse? or?

The first thing I would look for is a clip fed rifle. The Rem 788 has been mentioned a couple times, I think the Tikka T3 has been mentioned too. If this is a road hunting big game rifle, the 308 based cartridges would be highest on my list. An AR platformed 6.5 CM would be nice too.
Probably all of the above. That is why I was leaning to a 6.5 of some flavor.

Remington 870 slug gun. It will stop anything you want or need to stop from moving. Iron sights or a red dot if you want to get fancy. Ultra cheap and rugged. My bedroom booger gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.