Cheap Truck Gun set ups

This is my other "truck gun" which rides around with me a LOT for work. I work in some very remote, and oftentimes, very sketchy areas. More of a work truck gun than a hunting truck gun.
20181102_100259.jpg

Remington 783 Heavy 16.5 barrel, tear drop bolt handle already, threaded for suppressor already. Comes with a rail. 350 to 375. Primary 4-14x44 ffp 280(?) Add rings and a case and ya got something you won't mind scratching or dropping. CWF

I would go with a Howa with the hogue stock. Mine is a 223 and shoots factory ammo well under moa and has accounted for dozens of coyotes as a truck gun. The hogue stock is a little flimsy but you wont mind it getting beat up. You can also get it with a 20" barrel which comes in handy when pulling it from the back seat. get a stainless finish and it will hold up even better.

Rock river arms AR platform.243 or 6.5 Nikon scope = $1500 Insurance there ya go

I have a Ruger American ranch in 300 BO. 16" suppressed with a TBAC ultra 7(not part of the budget). I have an old Leupold 2-7 compact on it. Good truck gun set up.

Well, I am not very patient. I just bought a new howa mini in 6.5 grendel for $330 about 10 min ago. Its $80 more than the compass, but I really wanted the grendel. The barrel is a little longer than I wanted - 22".

Getting what you really wanted is what matters. Have fun with it.

Hello good people, not sure of what we will be hunting or shooting but. I have the ruger American in 223 i shoot a 62 grain hollow point and havent had much of anything run off or not far. I also have it in the 300 black out shooting a 125 pro hunter with ballistic tip also very awsome same weapon. Noticed the gentleman on the other reply said about the ruger predator this is also a good shooter have it in 22-250 and it is very accurate, will be getting this one in 243 also.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.
I like Howa's. A 7mm-08 or the 6.5 with 20" bbl. 2nd choice would be a Savage model #110 then the T/C. Speaking pure budget, T/C & Savage are pretty close. I think the savage will out shoot the T/C. On a truck set up I would use Warne Rings and bases they are very solid, A bit heavy, but solid.
Again, if we're talking budget.....Vortex Viper is a pretty solid choice and still backed by
unconditional lifetime warranty. I have Nikon's, Leupolds, Vortex's, Ziess & Khales, for the Money pretty tough to beat Vortex. Yes other scopes may perform better at distance but we are talking budget and with a "truck gun" I can't imagine you'll be taking a long poke at something past 5 or 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts