Cheap 30-06

archanfire

Once again, I come asking opinions/insight from the community to help me better spend my money. I have the choice of a new Remington770 or a new Mossberg Patriot in 30-06. It's not something I intend to use for long range/surgical precision purposes, but just looking for a good deer rifle and something to fall back on if something else needs repaired. As always, thanks for the feedback and helping a newbie!

Once again, I come asking opinions/insight from the community to help me better spend my money. I have the choice of a new Remington770 or a new Mossberg Patriot in 30-06. It's not something I intend to use for long range/surgical precision purposes, but just looking for a good deer rifle and something to fall back on if something else needs repaired. As always, thanks for the feedback and helping a newbie!
I do not recommend either one. What is your budget?

sub $500. trying to keep it cheap as I have a tendency to go all in on everything else I've had...
For your consideration, Savage 110 TH.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search....00551-30-06+springfield/action/13086/maxp/500

1707011147875.png

For $600, it opens up more choices, https://www.budsgunshop.com/search....00551-30-06+springfield/action/13086/maxp/600

Thanks for the info, I'll keep in consideration. The options I was asking about could be had for sub $400, but as long as they shoot straight and don't blow up I'd be happy. As previously stated I'm known for complicating things, so I'm trying to follow the KISS protocol for once :D

Thanks for the info, I'll keep in consideration. The options I was asking about could be had for sub $400, but as long as they shoot straight and don't blow up I'd be happy. As previously stated I'm known for complicating things, so I'm trying to follow the KISS protocol for once :D
Perhaps, but what you provided is not my choice for donors when it is time to re-barrel. I am not sure what your interpretation is as long as they shoot straight, but Savage rifles have been known to shoot right out of the box.

Perhaps, but what you provided is not my choice for donors when it is time to re-barrel. I am not sure what your interpretation is as long as they shoot straight, but Savage rifles have been known to shoot right out of the box.
By shooting straight, I mean not hitting my neighbors' barn behind me when aiming in front of me and being mostly consistent. I thought Savage was somewhat below middle of the road on their stuff(from what I read a few years ago). Have they stepped up their game?

By shooting straight, I mean not hitting my neighbors' barn behind me when aiming in front of me and being mostly consistent. I thought Savage was somewhat below middle of the road on their stuff(from what I read a few years ago). Have they stepped up their game?
I saved this poll, probably done 10 years ago, but I cannot find the thread anymore.
Most accurate rifle out of the box.JPG

Last edited: