Cheap 30-06

It is still possible to get a new rifle at a reasonable price. You're going to need to pick what suits you the best. I would add Browning Xbolt to your consideration. I realize they are a bit north of your $500 budget, but with the model close outs they are offering some deep discounts right now.

Cabelas used gun library online usually has a cheap 30/06. I think this Savage Axis is $319, https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101484768

I'm not the most well informed on some of the newer Savages. I don't have a clue about the Axis model. Cabelas probably have a used Howa or two but more money. If you see one you like you have to call the Cabelas store that has it, buy it over the phone and have it shipped to the closest store to you. I got a deal on a Howa 300 Win Mag last year.

I'm not much of a cheap gun guy but more of a good deal guy. I guess I'd buy a freight train if it was on sale lol. That's how I ended up with a Win XPR. I ran across for a good deal a new XPR in 325 WSM. 325 WSM are kinda uncommon no matter what brand to some extent. It had cool looking camo stock I can't pronounce the name and bronze ish metal finish. Thought what the heck. At first I didn't like it, bolt felt rough etc. Took it to my gunsmith buddy for trigger job, he said XPR's have good triggers that can be worked on and most shoot good. It did, I've shot a couple of dang near ragged hole groups. What surprised me is how after a little use the bolt slicked up, action really smoothed up. I don't like magazine rifles, I'm a Mauser, Model 70 fan but the single stack magazine feeds good too. Plastic magazine or not it holds the round well into the chamber. I might buy another one of these days.

It is still possible to get a new rifle at a reasonable price. You're going to need to pick what suits you the best. I would add Browning Xbolt to your consideration. I realize they are a bit north of your $500 budget, but with the model close outs they are offering some deep discounts right now.
I have a friend looking for an X-Bolt in 6.5CM…. Do you mind sharing where one could find some of these model close-out deals? Thanks!

I have a friend looking for an X-Bolt in 6.5CM…. Do you mind sharing where one could find some of these model close-out deals?
If you are looking for a 7 PRC, Grab a Gun has an OD Green X-Bolt Stalker for $658 and their shipping is generally $13 flat rate.

The only drawback I see is the metric muzzle threads. 24" barrel 8 twist and stated

Browning X-Bolt 7 PRC

30'06 deal

Browning X-Bolt 30'06

22" 10 twist same...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/658-7-prc-or-3006-browning-x-bolt-deal.352765/

Grabagun has good prices. I wish they were closer so I could drive. By the time ya pay shipping and FFL transfer fees gets the price back up.
I think that depends too. I know rules have changed but I used to be able to buy guns online and avoid sales taxes. Those sales taxes usually equaled more than shipping and FFL fees. I think that different now though, I'm not 100% sure since we don't pay sales tax on anything here in MT.

Best bang for your buck look at the savage axis with or without the accutrgger i go without get a spring kit for the trigger and the bolt lift kit (look it up on eBay) I found them at Walmart in SS for $342.00 the parts I listed $35 to $45

Once again, I come asking opinions/insight from the community to help me better spend my money. I have the choice of a new Remington770 or a new Mossberg Patriot in 30-06. It's not something I intend to use for long range/surgical precision purposes, but just looking for a good deer rifle and something to fall back on if something else needs repaired. As always, thanks for the feedback and helping a newbie!
I wont inundate you with rifles you did not ask about. No question for me the Remington. Mossberg has proven their accuracy and even bad phase Remingtons were better.

I wont inundate you with rifles you did not ask about. No question for me the Remington. Mossberg has proven their accuracy and even bad phase Remingtons were better.
Thanks for the info. One reason I was leaning mossberg was I had read a few threads stating that once the owner tightened all the screws/bolts up(something that you shouldn't have to do to a new rifle), they shot great, sub moa in some cases.

Agree!
Picked up a nice looking laminate Mossberg MVP(I think) 308 that would not group. Sent it down the road in record time! 😁

Last edited: