Cheap 30-06

By shooting straight, I mean not hitting my neighbors' barn behind me when aiming in front of me and being mostly consistent. I thought Savage was somewhat below middle of the road on their stuff(from what I read a few years ago). Have they stepped up their game?
I'd hate for you to have to settle for middle of the road on your $500 budget.

Once again, I come asking opinions/insight from the community to help me better spend my money. I have the choice of a new Remington770 or a new Mossberg Patriot in 30-06. It's not something I intend to use for long range/surgical precision purposes, but just looking for a good deer rifle and something to fall back on if something else needs repaired. As always, thanks for the feedback and helping a newbie!
Do not buy a 770. There is no aftermarket support and it's just an all around poorly designed gun. I bought one years ago on a cheap $179 sale as a backup for kids or brothers-in-law loaner. Comes with a junk $10 Bushnell scope that is not clear at all. Accurate, yes. Robust or durable, nope. Get something else.

Savage, Ruger and Tikka make decent lower cost rifles. Browse their catalog instead.

This is what I'd do.
Check pawn shops or gun shows.
You'd be served well with Remington 700, Winchester 70 or Savage 114,116 or 110 Storm.
A few people point me in the direction of 700's and other aftermarket supported options. I'm primarily looking for one to leave as is, so aftermarket support isn't a concern. I'm trying to save myself from myself 🤑☠️

I haven't had a ton of experience with mossberg rifles but the ones I have were very unimpressive as far as accuracy goes. If I was going Reminton I would stay with the 700 just because of the vast aftermarket support.
I'm trying to find something I can just leave alone, bc once I get started modifying I won't stop. Trying to save myself from myself with this one😞

A few people point me in the direction of 700's and other aftermarket supported options. I'm primarily looking for one to leave as is, so aftermarket support isn't a concern. I'm trying to save myself from myself 🤑☠️
I'm trying to find something I can just leave alone, bc once I get started modifying I won't stop. Trying to save myself from myself with this one😞
You have been provided excellent advice; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

Get a Ruger American rifle ($399.99) It is inexpensive but accurate and they stand behind their guns if there is ever an issue with it. It will work fine w/o modifications. It's a "best buy" for someone looking to get something functionally ready to go, out of the box.

Here is one for $542 with a Vortex 3X9X40mm scope already mounted for you:

"Ruger's American Rifle offers minute-of-angle accuracy that can make every hunt a success. The one-piece, three-lug bolt with 70 degree throw provides ample scope clearance and utilizes a full diameter bolt body and dual cocking cams for smooth, easy cycling. Its patent-pending Power Bedding, integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy. The ergonomic, lightweight synthetic stock with soft rubber buttpad is designed for quick, easy handling and blends a classic look with modern forend contouring and grip serrations. The American Rifle also has a Ruger Marksman adjustable trigger, cold hammer-forged barrel, and a tang safety. This 30-06 Springfield model has a 22" matte black barrel, black synthetic stock, rotary magazine, and sling swivel studs. It includes a factory-installed Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 riflescope with the Dead-Hold BDC reticle."

I'd also recommend a Savage 110/116 for a cheap rifle, not sure I'd go lower quality than that. I've had really good luck with them. I'd look for something on consignment/used gun racks. You can usually find them in the $400 range nowadays. I've picked them up for as low as $300 and they've always been good shooters. I don't think I'd pay more than about $420 for one on a used rack though. That's what I'd be looking for. I've almost bought a few when I've had ideas of building a 280 AI. I still kinda look but, I have too many projects on the board as it is. Some of them I just don't like the feel of, the Ruger Americans I've felt were kinda gritty and sloppy, but they are cheap. Mossbergs feel the same. Winchester XPRs are close to that, very similarly are the Browning AB3s. Some of the cheap rifles just feel really cheap, and I'm not a fan of that.

Edit to add: if you get a used one, try to find a round-back top bolt release model. If you can't find a top, a bottom release will be fine. It's easier to find bases and stocks for round receivers and easier to find stocks for top bolts releases.

Last edited: